WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Squad 2020

Board index Super League Hull KR Squad 2020

Re: Squad 2020 Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11805
Location: Leicestershire.
Someday wrote:
When we last had A teams we used to have players named A another and we got some decent players that way will that still happened do you think


I imagine they were amateurs, last-minute inclusions or maybe RU players who needed to be discreet. I don’t see any reason why those couldn’t be sources of new talent again. Back then though, the gap was from amateur (for example) to semi-pro, whereas, if we’re being selfish we’re looking for lads to step up to full-time RL. Talent is still talent - there’s just another rung on the development ladder.

Initially, I imagine it’ll be similar to (but better, I think and hope) the system that was in place when we first arrived in SL. Then it was, iirc, under-16s, -18s and -20s/21s with a certain number of overage players allowed in the last. Then they moved to 16s and 19s, in part because there was a feeling that a fair few lads who were never going to make it had to be retained to fill out the 20/21s. And the focus got narrower still with the CoH joint academy.

I think many of the reserves will be lads who are too old for 18s, but not yet ready for a senior contract. But with more flexibility, without an official age limit. To me that makes sense, rather than signing half a dozen extra pros who are over 24 just so we can field a team. The first team should be supplemented by a-team players, not the other way around imo.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Squad 2020 Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:00 pm  

Someday wrote:
Someday Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:00 am
Posts: 902
Mild Rover wrote:
I imagine they were amateurs, last-minute inclusions or maybe RU players who needed to be discreet. I don’t see any reason why those couldn’t be sources of new talent again. Back then though, the gap was from amateur (for example) to semi-pro, whereas, if we’re being selfish we’re looking for lads to step up to full-time RL. Talent is still talent - there’s just another rung on the development ladder.

Initially, I imagine it’ll be similar to (but better, I think and hope) the system that was in place when we first arrived in SL. Then it was, iirc, under-16s, -18s and -20s/21s with a certain number of overage players allowed in the last. Then they moved to 16s and 19s, in part because there was a feeling that a fair few lads who were never going to make it had to be retained to fill out the 20/21s. And the focus got narrower still with the CoH joint academy.

I think many of the reserves will be lads who are too old for 18s, but not yet ready for a senior contract. But with more flexibility, without an official age limit. To me that makes sense, rather than signing half a dozen extra pros who are over 24 just so we can field a team. The first team should be supplemented by a-team players, not the other way around imo.

It was also good for getting injured players back to the first team by giving them a run out to test their fitness
Re: Squad 2020 Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:12 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11805
Location: Leicestershire.
Someday wrote:
It was also good for getting injured players back to the first team by giving them a run out to test their fitness


Absolutely. And keep match fitness up for players not on dual reg, where you don’t want to commit to a month’s loan.

On the other hand, you don’t want to be stretched to make up a competitive team, and risk first team players being injured.

It’ll be interesting to see how we use it and the partnership with Dewsbury. Where best fits the development of young players like Lewis, Rooks and Harrison when they’re not in the first team? We’re also looking for loan deals for Oakes and Wallis according to TS.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Squad 2020 Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 pm  

Frosties. wrote:
Frosties. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:24 pm
Posts: 9580
You’ve another two coming from Bradford.
Re: Squad 2020 Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:17 am  

eastul105 wrote:
eastul105 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 pm
Posts: 448
Do tell us please frosties
Re: Squad 2020 Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:26 am  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11805
Location: Leicestershire.
eastul105 wrote:
Do tell us please frosties


Matthew Storton and Rowan Milnes is the rumour i’ve seen. Promising young players, I believe.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Squad 2020 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:27 am  

User avatardes lawson wrote:
des lawson User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:07 pm
Posts: 578
Mild Rover wrote:
Matthew Storton and Rowan Milnes is the rumour i’ve seen. Promising young players, I believe.

On the subject of bradford I always thought jordan lilley was pretty decent,any thoughts?
Re: Squad 2020 Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:15 pm  

User avatarroofaldo2 wrote:
roofaldo2 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Posts: 3202
des lawson wrote:
On the subject of bradford I always thought jordan lilley was pretty decent,any thoughts?


You're getting Keyes, Michella and one of our academy props along with Milnes and Storton.
Re: Squad 2020 Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:47 pm  

User avatarNothus wrote:
Nothus User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:27 pm
Posts: 5597
Location: Bradford
des lawson wrote:
On the subject of bradford I always thought jordan lilley was pretty decent,any thoughts?


Forget about Lilley, you've just signed one of the best halfbacks in the championship (Keyes).
Re: Squad 2020 Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:23 pm  
Sandro II Terrorista User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 11711
Location: Secret Hill Top Lair. V.2

Feels a bit wrong signing all these from t'Steam Pigs, but at the end ofnthe day it's pro sport and business.
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle.

Frederick Douglas
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Hull KR


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,118,0021,28678,4364,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X