FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New Format (Well old, actually)
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 18:1924th Mar 24 11:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 pm  
100% Warrior wrote:
The latest “brainchild” (copied from the NRL) is for a shot clock to be introduced to reduce game times and golden point added for draw games.

Only the inept RFL could come up with a plan so ridiculous and laughable. Reducing game times whilst potentially adding time on?

The sooner this mob are out of rugby league the better. They’re destroying our game and have been for far too long.

All they are doing is considering what is already in place in the NRL. Hardly a ‘brainchild’.

The shot clock is a good thing imo, stops a lot of time wasting and speeds the game up increasing the chances of a better spectacle. The way they do it in the NRL it does require a big screen at every game.

I’m not a fan of golden point except for knockout games. Nowt wrong with a good old fashioned draw.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4638
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years194th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 18:4723rd Mar 24 14:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 am  
it seems a lot of Aussies don't like Golden POint and wish they had *proper* draws like we do. I agree. The shot clock is not a bad idea and works well there, though.

But if you want to attract a bigger audience, the main thing is clean up the ruck, in my view.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 18 200420 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 18:331st Feb 24 19:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Neil, Reggie, Cowie forever.

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:17 am  
moto748 wrote:
it seems a lot of Aussies don't like Golden POint and wish they had *proper* draws like we do. I agree. The shot clock is not a bad idea and works well there, though.

But if you want to attract a bigger audience, the main thing is clean up the ruck, in my view.

Totally agree re the " ruck" If you want to watch wrestling and mauling around on the floor etc then watch RU, the way the wrestle and slowing down of the play the ball has crept into the game in the last 10 years has greatly changed what we get as a spectacle. It needs sorting by officials and coaches or the speccies will continue to leave.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1577
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 200519 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:1926th Mar 24 18:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:43 am  
endoman wrote:
Totally agree re the " ruck" If you want to watch wrestling and mauling around on the floor etc then watch RU, the way the wrestle and slowing down of the play the ball has crept into the game in the last 10 years has greatly changed what we get as a spectacle. It needs sorting by officials and coaches or the speccies will continue to leave.

Agreed but the ridiculous obstruction rules need to be sorted out - but the biggest killer for me is the time taken by video ref decisions - so many replays of an incident takes forever and kills the momentum of the game- for any neutrals/casual watchers it must be really off putting. I would have a time/number of replays limit and then stick with the on-field decision (and have penalties if teams do not form scrums quicker - how long does it take to form up now?).
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:5414th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Even the recent premier league deal is down on the last one so it doesn’t look good.

I saw a stat earlier that said overall viewing figures across all sports on Sky are down 12% over a two year period. In that same time Rugby Leagues viewing figures are down 27%! If they reduce the TV deal in line with that drop then the game is in trouble.

No wonder they’re considering things like a shot clock and golden point extra time.

Hopefully we can agree to just give them rights to SL if that's the case. The Championship looks like an exciting competition next year even if it isn't glamorous. Maybe, for example, we can have a £35m SL deal with sky and a £5m Champ/League 1 deal with Premier/BT rather than a £40m deal for everything as it is currently. Then at least we have two broadcasters to compete with each other for the following contract, and Championship teams get an opportunity to market themselves. I can't see sky being that bothered as long as it doesn't clash, they would still be able to show the same games they would have anyway.

I can't believe people above think ruck speed and obstruction interpretations register as significant issues as we continue our gradual descent to eentually becoming a semi-pro sport, re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4198No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 21:4724th Mar 24 20:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Even the recent premier league deal is down on the last one so it doesn’t look good.

I saw a stat earlier that said overall viewing figures across all sports on Sky are down 12% over a two year period. In that same time Rugby Leagues viewing figures are down 27%! If they reduce the TV deal in line with that drop then the game is in trouble.

No wonder they’re considering things like a shot clock and golden point extra time.

I wonder what time it will be when a game finishes on a Thursday or Friday night if there's a draw after 80 minutes, should this come to pass? Sky's kick off times will have be brought forward again.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1577
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 200519 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:1926th Mar 24 18:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 am  
Grimmy wrote:

I can't believe people above think ruck speed and obstruction interpretations register as significant issues as we continue our gradual descent to eentually becoming a semi-pro sport, re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic!

So dwindling tv audiences and attendances don't matter? If the game keeps dropping tv viewers from Sky then the next tv deal will be much worse than the current deal - it is all PART of making the sport attractive to not just hardcore fans like us but the wider viewing public , baffling rules and long drawn out interruptions will not help .Lets face it the Sky money is only keeping the game afloat - without it the game would be semi-pro at best. When the deal is renewed and it is , as is quite possible, on much reduced terms due to poorer viewing figures then the consequences could be dire. Cricket is going through a similar issue - the faster T20 is doing well but the 4 days game is dying on its feet.

I will freely admit there are many much bigger and more important issues but the issues I mentioned would be easily fixable and a quick win- the other issues, as we have seen with the internal squabbling over the changes to the format for next season are much harder to resolve. Sadly the game is struggling at the moment and some within the administration of the game seem to either want to bury their heads in the sand or just hope it all works out on its own. I fear for the future of the game which is a shame because it is the best sport to watch when it is played at it's best (such as the recent Saints v Wigan game) relying on just the loyal fan base is not enough to keep the game going.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 12 20158 years290th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 24 07:1622nd Jan 24 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:21 pm  
I’ve always thought the next tv deal will make the current one seem like a huge payday for the sport,I think it’ll be well down on the current one and I’m not sure who’s going to pick the slack up?fantasy stuff like amazon and Netflix?not in my lifetime,Sky again depends if the Disney deal goes through I’d assume they only want rights for worldwide sport such as football,will they even be interested in a niche sport?

Very uncertain times for the sport
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm  
Trainman wrote:
All they are doing is considering what is already in place in the NRL. Hardly a ‘brainchild’.

Yep. That’s why i said in brackets after it “copied from the NRL”

The thing that is just utterly baffling to me is that we’ve got the same game, played under different rules in the two leagues. Then you’ve got international rules, it’s just ridiculous. The RLIF need to grow a set and have both leagues playing under the same rules and the International game to boot.

The RFL bringing in Golden Point is utterly bizarre as draws generally are cracking games to watch. Bringing this in would do nothing for the dwindling crowds both on TV and the stadia.
RankPostsTeam
International Star664
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 201311 years278th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 06:4627th Mar 24 06:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Format (Well old, actually) : Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 am  
IMHO Thursday night games is the largest contributory factor towards declining attendances. Games are played in almost-empty stadiums and the number of ST sales will have fallen simply because we have every chance of at least two of our home games being switched at short notice to a day we cant make.
PreviousNext