FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The Sun boycotts rugby league after magic w/end
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 18:2314th Apr 24 09:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

ThePrinter wrote:
If they don’t want to allow Sun journalists into Anfield that’s fine....but like I said don’t go out looking to attract and bring other sports to Anfield (which they’re trying to do since the stadium upgrade) and tell them late in the day they can’t have certain part s of the media there. Either put that part of the deal out there right from the START before agreeing or don’t have it at all.

People can get on their moral high horses now but I don’t recall seeing RL fans protesting or petitioning AT ALL in the last 30 years either towards their own club or the RFL asking them to ban The Sun journalists from RL grounds or events. Don’t recall anybody complaining that Sun journalists were allowed into St James Park in previous years. Where was you support for Liverpool then or any of the previous 30 years before they wanted to host RL? So it’s not a subject RL fans truly feel strongly about at all, just in trend at the moment like so many moral high horse views are.

Just because some on here have a higher opinion of themselves and think of themselves as better than the people who do read The Sun isn’t a valid or good reason to not have it cover RL regardless of whether it’s limited. We should be trying to increase how much EVERY paper covers RL, not going backwards.

Are you for real ?
Are you seriously suggesting that because Liverpool FC have a major and valid gripe with just one of the UK's tabloid "papers", that, they should be precluded from staging any RL events.
In fact, to demonstrate just how little The Sun is bothered about our sport, it may be worth noting that despite this ban having been in operation since shortly after the Hilsborough disaster, only now has it affected or been noted by this excuse for a newspaper.

As I stated previously, I'm happy to do without their (The Sun's) contribution if this means keeping just a small amount of moral backbone.

By siding with their employee, YOU are condoning The Sun's behaviour at the time, which quite frankly is abhorrent. Seriously, you need to think about what matters.

I'll happily stand shoulder to shoulder with Liverpool FC and the people affected by the LIES peddled by The Sun, which contributed and prolonged the suffering of those involved. Their headlines at the time not only blamed the Liverpool fans for causing the events at Hilsborough but, branded them thieves and pick pockets and yet, YOU are worried about upsetting one of their journalists :CRAZY:
RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 21 20149 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 19:1715th Oct 23 16:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.

wrencat1873 wrote:
Are you for real ?
Are you seriously suggesting that because Liverpool FC have a major and valid gripe with just one of the UK's tabloid "papers", that, they should be precluded from staging any RL events.
In fact, to demonstrate just how little The Sun is bothered about our sport, it may be worth noting that despite this ban having been in operation since shortly after the Hilsborough disaster, only now has it affected or been noted by this excuse for a newspaper.

As I stated previously, I'm happy to do without their (The Sun's) contribution if this means keeping just a small amount of moral backbone.

By siding with their employee, YOU are condoning The Sun's behaviour at the time, which quite frankly is abhorrent. Seriously, you need to think about what matters.

I'll happily stand shoulder to shoulder with Liverpool FC and the people affected by the LIES peddled by The Sun, which contributed and prolonged the suffering of those involved. Their headlines at the time not only blamed the Liverpool fans for causing the events at Hilsborough but, branded them thieves and pick pockets and yet, YOU are worried about upsetting one of their journalists :CRAZY:

It was one journalist,and one editor,who were responsible.The newspaper apologised several years after the event.
The owner of the paper also owns Sky TV and Liverpool FC gladly take that money,from Sky.

Another newspaper,that has rugby league coverage,had an editor who did not make an apology.Should all virtue signallers abandon that newspaper? Where do you want to start to draw the line? Or are you like a certain group of people who are incapable of forgetting/putting to back of your mind,and moving on?
Remember?

The current rugby league journalist at The Sun hasn't upset the people of Liverpool and wasn't possibly born when it occurred.
wrencat1873 wrote:
Are you for real ?

It was one journalist,and one editor,who were responsible.The newspaper apologised several years after the event.
The owner of the paper also owns Sky TV and Liverpool FC gladly take that money,from Sky.

Another newspaper,that has rugby league coverage,had an editor who did not make an apology.Should all virtue signallers abandon that newspaper? Where do you want to start to draw the line? Or are you like a certain group of people who are incapable of forgetting/putting to back of your mind,and moving on?
Remember?

The current rugby league journalist at The Sun hasn't upset the people of Liverpool and wasn't possibly born when it occurred.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4226
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 14:0014th Apr 24 18:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
top flight since 1895

Did the Scum cover the Eng v NZ game played at Anfield last year?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ornery Optimist wrote:

Remember?

It's a stance against one newspaper and as for moving on, maybe this will help those at that particular rag remember their own contribution to the Hilsborough disaster.

And, yes, I'm fully aware that Sky own The Sun (and control much of the media) however, the protest is against this particular publication and not the whole of the empire.

As for moving on.
When Liverpool FC are happy to move on then, I will happily move with them.
Ornery Optimist wrote:

Remember?

It's a stance against one newspaper and as for moving on, maybe this will help those at that particular rag remember their own contribution to the Hilsborough disaster.

And, yes, I'm fully aware that Sky own The Sun (and control much of the media) however, the protest is against this particular publication and not the whole of the empire.

As for moving on.
When Liverpool FC are happy to move on then, I will happily move with them.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

wrencat1873 wrote:
Are you for real ?

The other poster beat me to it but I was about to mention Rupert Murdoch and how he controls both The Sun and Sky (or at least did). Never seen people boycott Sky over it, in fact RL fans have been begging Sky for more money and coverage overs the years/decades. So cut out the moral high horse standing shoulder to shoulder with them, and I’m the abhorrent one because it’s all hypocritical BS. Murdoch is just as responsible for those lies as it was one of his puppets that wrote it. Absolutely zero “moral backbone” just jumping on a bandwagon.

And no I’m not condoning their behaviour AT THAT TIME, I’m looking at the here and now and a journalist who is freelance, was probably still in short trousers at the time and just hoping to be there to report on RL. Maybe we should still judge Germans based on what some of their ancestors did before them ;)
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

ThePrinter wrote:
The other poster beat me to it but I was about to mention Rupert Murdoch and how he controls both The Sun and Sky (or at least did). Never seen people boycott Sky over it, in fact RL fans have been begging Sky for more money and coverage overs the years/decades. So cut out the moral high horse standing shoulder to shoulder with them, and I’m the abhorrent one because it’s all hypocritical BS. Murdoch is just as responsible for those lies as it was one of his puppets that wrote it. Absolutely zero “moral backbone” just jumping on a bandwagon.

And no I’m not condoning their behaviour AT THAT TIME, I’m looking at the here and now and a journalist who is freelance, was probably still in short trousers at the time and just hoping to be there to report on RL. Maybe we should still judge Germans based on what some of their ancestors did before them ;)

We clearly have a different opinion on this and you seem to be suggesting that Murdoch himself is responsible for everything printed in publications accross his empire. Ultimately, yes but, in reality, I think that you should be looking at the editor for this particular subject.
It took The Sun 23 years to apologise for their deliberate smear of Liverpool FC, it's fans and it's people, 23 years !!!

As for the poor jilted journalist, he (or more importantly, his boss) will have known the situation around Liverpool FC and it's pretty likely that they have sent a young guy in, just hoping that he isn't shown the door but, really, The Sun will have known the score so, it's a non story.

As for them boycotting RL, I would never know as personally, I wouldn't go near the rag.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2285
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 30 201014 years201st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 14:2616th Apr 24 06:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

wrencat1873 wrote:
It took The Sun 23 years to apologise for their deliberate smear of Liverpool FC, it's fans and it's people, 23 years !!!

It also took Liverpool 28 years to ban The Sun from Anfield & Melwood training ground.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

wrencat1873 wrote:
We clearly have a different opinion on this and you seem to be suggesting that Murdoch himself is responsible for everything printed in publications accross his empire. Ultimately, yes but, in reality, I think that you should be looking at the editor for this particular subject.

As for the poor jilted journalist, he (or more importantly, his boss) will have known the situation around Liverpool FC and it's pretty likely that they have sent a young guy in, just hoping that he isn't shown the door but, really, The Sun will have known the score so, it's a non story.

As for them boycotting RL, I would never know as personally, I wouldn't go near the rag.

As for dismissing the journalist as a “poor jilted” young guy it was actually Gary Carter, the journalist who was attacked a few years ago and left fighting for life in a coma and whose wife quit her job to look after him and accompany him to matches he goes too (sure their income isn’t a worry now because of this)....but feel free to belittle him because he works for The Sun

Their is some Liverpool fans who boycott Sky and also The Times and also TalkSport because Murdoch owns them (Radio DJ and Liverpool fan Colin Murray quit TalkSport when Murdoch took over because of the connection) so if you and others are really standing shoulder to shoulder with Liverpool on this then I expect you to give up Sky and ask your club to do likewise? Or because the boycotts of these other Murdoch owned businesses aren’t as high profile as The Sun one does it not count or does it need to be a certain amount of Scousers boycotting them or the Liverpool club itself?

Thing is as well what some don’t know or have forgotten is that it wasn’t the only paper to print those very same lies, several others did including a local Liverpool paper itself. Yet people carry like it was only The Sun.
RankPostsTeam
International Star182No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 201113 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 23 23:4121st Jul 22 20:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Liverpool has its own agenda regarding the sun and doesn’t care what effect it may or may not have with regards to rugby league over it, I personally do not buy that newspaper but I believe money talks and that is why sky is welcome there still despite being the owners of the sun. To me the way forward is to move magic weekend to somewhere where everyone is able to enjoy it whether that be Newcastle Cardiff or Edinburgh
AS108 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Oct 20 18:3818th Oct 19 20:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

ThePrinter wrote:
As for dismissing the journalist as a “poor jilted” young guy it was actually Gary Carter, the journalist who was attacked a few years ago and left fighting for life in a coma and whose wife quit her job to look after him and accompany him to matches he goes too (sure their income isn’t a worry now because of this)....but feel free to belittle him because he works for The Sun

What has that got to do with any of this? Yes it was terrible that happened to him but it is completely irrelevant to him being banned from Anfield. Also, if he’s out of a job as a result then tough luck, he should choose who he works for more wisely.
PreviousNext