Dec 22 200122 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 21:4926th Mar 24 17:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:22 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
The Conservatives’ mandate is very weak and the new leader taking it on second hand is not going to be in a strong position. His party won’t allow a deal, Parliament won’t allow no deal, a general election would be massively unpredictable with the Brexit Party and committed Remain parties taking votes from the Conservatives and Labour, and a second referendum would likely be close enough to not solve the problem. Stalemate.

Clumsy, ugly and potentially disasterous as it will be, maybe it needs someone like Johnson to bring it to a head, and see how it falls out. Or maybe he’ll just tie himself and us in even more Gordian knots.

We really have made a right pig’s ear of this.

I'm not disagreeing with much of that. Johnson doesn't give a toss; he lies to his family, lies to the populace & will be immune to any fall out. Seeing supposedly ethical colleagues lining up behind him to be seen to be supporting the victor & secure a prominent position in the new cabinet is vomit inducing. It reaffirms to me Brexit is all about forriners not democracy.
POSTL 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 30 200915 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Nov 23 22:301st Mar 23 21:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:42 pm  
tigertot wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with much of that. Johnson doesn't give a toss; he lies to his family, lies to the populace & will be immune to any fall out. Seeing supposedly ethical colleagues lining up behind him to be seen to be supporting the victor & secure a prominent position in the new cabinet is vomit inducing. It reaffirms to me Brexit is all about forriners not democracy.

I have yet to meet a politician who doesn't lie to the populace when it suits, What Brexit has reaffirmed to me is that we don't live in an open democracy as some will advocate, we live in a parliamentary democracy, god help us with this shower what ever party.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17113No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 21:4926th Mar 24 17:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm  
POSTL wrote:
I have yet to meet a politician who doesn't lie to the populace when it suits,

I have to believe there are good people on all sides; far more on the left obviously....
What Brexit has reaffirmed to me is that we don't live in an open democracy as some will advocate, we live in a parliamentary democracy, god help us with this shower what ever party.

I agree with that & this is what the dischuffed & disenfranchised should be putting their frustrations into. Taking central power from London & giving it to the regions for all but national & international strategic decisions. Getting people to believe they can truly influence politics.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 29 201410 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 22 07:4723rd Nov 22 08:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 pm  
tigertot wrote:
Strange how silent the Brexiteers are over the threat to democracy when 0.0005% of the population are currently deciding who will 'lead' this country for the next few years.

Writing about the Labour prime minister Gordon Brown, who took over from Tony Blair without an election, this is what Boris Johnson said;

“It’s the arrogance. It’s the contempt. That’s what gets me. It’s Gordon Brown’s apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It’s at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.”

“They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM… They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal. Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup… with North Korean servility, the Labour Party has handed power over to the brooding Scottish power-maniac.”
“The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. No one elected Gordon Brown as Prime Minister”

“Gordon Brown could appease public indignation over that, and secure the democratic mandate he needs, by asking the public to vote at once on him, on the new EU treaty, and on the implications of the devolutionary settlement. Let’s have an election without delay.”
POSTL 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 30 200915 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Nov 23 22:301st Mar 23 21:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
The Conservatives’ mandate is very weak and the new leader taking it on second hand is not going to be in a strong position. His party won’t allow a deal, Parliament won’t allow no deal, a general election would be massively unpredictable with the Brexit Party and committed Remain parties taking votes from the Conservatives and Labour, and a second referendum would likely be close enough to not solve the problem. Stalemate.

Clumsy, ugly and potentially disasterous as it will be, maybe it needs someone like Johnson to bring it to a head, and see how it falls out. Or maybe he’ll just tie himself and us in even more Gordian knots.

We really have made a right pig’s ear of this.

Couldn't agree more, add to that Labour won't allow a deal what ever as it might be as a way of getting a general election. It was said on Politics live today that the only thing Johnson is hoping to renegotiate with the EU is the backstop. So it looks like the status quo will continue.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years121st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 19:1525th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 pm  
POSTL wrote:
Couldn't agree more, add to that Labour won't allow a deal what ever as it might be as a way of getting a general election. It was said on Politics live today that the only thing Johnson is hoping to renegotiate with the EU is the backstop. So it looks like the status quo will continue.

Until the 31st of October. :)

I don’t think the EU will allow another extension, at least anything more than a very short one to finalise something. So, one way or another, a choice will finally have to be made.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31543
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years75th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 20:1327th Mar 24 15:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 am  
The plan will be to allow Europe to let us go without an extension then blame them for all the resulting fallout. That'll be the only way they can spin it if it all goes wrong.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17871
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:0828th Mar 24 10:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
Until the 31st of October. :)

I don’t think the EU will allow another extension, at least anything more than a very short one to finalise something. So, one way or another, a choice will finally have to be made.

I think that you are wrong regarding a short extension, well kind of.
They would almost certainly allow a short technical extension.
However, for anything else they would more likely insist on a couple of years (at least).

No matter which side of the Brexit argument you are aligned to, Mrs May has played a truly shocking hand, which just about prevents any further short extension (other than a "technical" one).
With Boris almost certain to be in the big chair, I expect that he will demand a change to the "backstop" and tell the EU that without a change to this, we will go full steam ahead for a "no deal" on Halloween and right now, with how the country is and despite my personal preference of "remain", I believe that this is the only real option left.
The Tories will all fall into line and with the "help" of a few Labour "leave" MP's, this will see the first part of the Brexit bill over the line, just.
The alternative for the Tories would be a general election, which will ensure that there are very, very few, Tory rebels.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1100No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201113 years218th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Oct 23 17:392nd Oct 23 14:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm  
And as well as having no mandate from the people , one of these two jerks gets to become PM supported by a NI terrorist group. :CRAZY:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister : Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 pm  
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48721211
Move along....nothing to see here......given the old pussy grabber was elected to the white House, no doubt this "domestic" will endear him to the Tory faithful
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48721211
Move along....nothing to see here......given the old pussy grabber was elected to the white House, no doubt this "domestic" will endear him to the Tory faithful
PreviousNext