Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1530, 1531, 1532, 1533, 1534, 1535, 1536 ... 1578  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rumours and signings v9
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Matty Smith to Wire :UMB: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Wigg'n wrote:Matty Smith to Wire :UMB: :LOL:

He's too young :lol:

Post subject: Re: Widdop
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Rogues Gallery wrote:Patrick Ah Van is allowed to play in the 1895 final for Widnes.

for a second there I was thinking how he is going to generate 1.21 gigawatts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Chris Green to Wakefield until the end of the season. Looks like we're happy with our front row right now.

Category 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm 
100% League Network Subsite
100% League Network Subsite

Wigg'n wrote:Matty Smith to Wire :UMB: :LOL:

I like Matty Smith. He had his limitations but he gave everything while at Wigan.

He knows how to lead a team around the park for big one off matches. Could be a shrewd bit of business.

Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:02 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

cadoo wrote:I like Matty Smith. He had his limitations but he gave everything while at Wigan.

He knows how to lead a team around the park for big one off matches. Could be a shrewd bit of business.

With the right personnel around him he certainly does. When he was alongside Green and had Tomkins at fullback he was just the job but when those two left he really struggled. He’ll be better for Wire than Patton is when he plays with Ratchford and Austin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:With the right personnel around him he certainly does. When he was alongside Green and had Tomkins at fullback he was just the job but when those two left he really struggled. He’ll be better for Wire than Patton is when he plays with Ratchford and Austin.

I think when's all said and done his career will reflect his ability. Played his part in a strong Wigan team winning some silverware which lead to an England call up. Been a good player, just not a world beater, but not many players are.

His lack of pace and ability to take on the line is my main criticism of Smith. Good kicking game, well organised, good passer, but never posed a real threat with ball in hand. Having that acceleration and movement can scare an opposition line, and in turn improve a players passing game as the defensive line moves out of position to close down space aware of a running threat, in turn this creates more space out wide allowing a half to put others through gaps.

At times I remember the opposition line giving Smith plenty of space edging closer to the outside backs knowing he wasn't going to take on the line, or that he'd be quickly caught if he went for the gap.

Overall Smith should be proud of his career, England call up, played in some big games and won some medals.

Plus, is there another player who can say they've played for Saints, Wigan, Widnes and Warrington?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sam Burgess to Superleague?

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/south- ... nrl-145203

SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Last Son of Wigan wrote:I think when's all said and done his career will reflect his ability. Played his part in a strong Wigan team winning some silverware which lead to an England call up. Been a good player, just not a world beater, but not many players are.

His lack of pace and ability to take on the line is my main criticism of Smith. Good kicking game, well organised, good passer, but never posed a real threat with ball in hand. Having that acceleration and movement can scare an opposition line, and in turn improve a players passing game as the defensive line moves out of position to close down space aware of a running threat, in turn this creates more space out wide allowing a half to put others through gaps.

At times I remember the opposition line giving Smith plenty of space edging closer to the outside backs knowing he wasn't going to take on the line, or that he'd be quickly caught if he went for the gap.

Overall Smith should be proud of his career, England call up, played in some big games and won some medals.

Plus, is there another player who can say they've played for Saints, Wigan, Widnes and Warrington?

Totally agree with this, important cog in one of the best sides we've had in the SL era. Worth mentioning as well that both him & Green were expected to be a massive downgrade on Finch & Tommy. Not easy circumstances to come in to.

I know it didn't work out for him at Saints second time round, but I can't believe that he's not found regular rugby elsewhere when there are far worse players getting regular game time. How much use would he have been to Leeds over the last couple of years?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Cherry_&_White wrote:Totally agree with this, important cog in one of the best sides we've had in the SL era. Worth mentioning as well that both him & Green were expected to be a massive downgrade on Finch & Tommy. Not easy circumstances to come in to.

I know it didn't work out for him at Saints second time round, but I can't believe that he's not found regular rugby elsewhere when there are far worse players getting regular game time. How much use would he have been to Leeds over the last couple of years?

He's just gone to clubs where he's been considered weaker than others who play in his position, and in my opinion, that's justified. Langi and Gigot look much better. Smith didn't look up to it when he played.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1530, 1531, 1532, 1533, 1534, 1535, 1536 ... 1578  Next

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com