FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brexit Anyone? (part 4)
::Off-topic discussion.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17113No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 12:3026th Mar 24 17:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm  
IR80 wrote:
Name the last PM to be elected by the public... I'll put the slow cooker on whilst I await a response.

Was it Bobby Walpole?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17871
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 16:1128th Mar 24 10:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 pm  
IR80 wrote:
Name the last PM to be elected by the public... I'll put the slow cooker on whilst I await a response.

Well, the answer is Mrs Theresa May, although she did need help from the DUP to be able to form a government.
You do remember the "strong and stable" election, dont you ?

Mind you, compared to Boris, her government was strong and stable :oops:
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 07:5425th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:07 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Are you for real - I don't think so - Parliament has done everything it can to block Brexit and that includes the speaker. My view has always been the only way to leave is no deal with all the short term calamitous consequences. We differ on whether this is right thing - if it were only a trading relationship that would be ideal to stay in but its not.

The disconnect as you well know is the inability to accept the vote by MPs - guarantee we would not be in the position if we had voted to remain by a slender majority.

Obviously there is a group of MPs who want to remain, but they are in a minority. Maybe about 114, based on the vote to trigger article 50. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38833883

That was before the last election, but give or take.

The problem is that those who are happy or at least willing to Leave are spread across the spectrum of soft through hard to the impossibilist/no deal approach of the ERG, and completely unable or unwilling to accept anything other than their own specific version that they all believe 17.4 million voters endorsed. The problem isn’t remainers, the problem is the Leave coalition breaking down and failing to unite behind a single coherent position. And everybody kinda forgot about Northern Ireland because it hadn’t been on the news for 20 years - making up for lost time now though, innit?
Sal Paradise wrote:
Are you for real - I don't think so - Parliament has done everything it can to block Brexit and that includes the speaker. My view has always been the only way to leave is no deal with all the short term calamitous consequences. We differ on whether this is right thing - if it were only a trading relationship that would be ideal to stay in but its not.

The disconnect as you well know is the inability to accept the vote by MPs - guarantee we would not be in the position if we had voted to remain by a slender majority.

Obviously there is a group of MPs who want to remain, but they are in a minority. Maybe about 114, based on the vote to trigger article 50. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38833883

The problem is that those who are happy or at least willing to Leave are spread across the spectrum of soft through hard to the impossibilist/no deal approach of the ERG, and completely unable or unwilling to accept anything other than their own specific version that they all believe 17.4 million voters endorsed. The problem isn’t remainers, the problem is the Leave coalition breaking down and failing to unite behind a single coherent position. And everybody kinda forgot about Northern Ireland because it hadn’t been on the news for 20 years - making up for lost time now though, innit?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17871
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 16:1128th Mar 24 10:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:

Of course I'm for real.
The "leave" campaign was all for our parliament making ALL of the rules.
Remember, the referendum was "leave" or "remain" and the campaign, although fought with the tag line "no deal" is better than a bad deal, the plan was to get a deal, which again, if you remember was going to be oh so easy :oops: and the problem has been that, unfortunately, any good deal has proved far from easy.
The fact that the referendum was not "fought" along party political lines certainly hasn't helped, with different factions of "leave" making their own, very different promises, many of which were simply untrue from the start and our MP's are charged with getting any deal through Parliament.

As we are now, with certain "truths" having been realised, public opinion had changed slightly in favour of remain, and as such, our MP's are in an even more difficult position.
However, right at the bottom of all this seems to be the island of Ireland and to achieve Brexit and honour The Good Friday Agreement appears to be impossible.
Sitting in England, it would be easy to say, sod 'em, we voted "leave" but, NOBODY, least of all our politicians, want a return to the troubles that blighted the 1970's and 80's, especially as it's "only a trade deal" - the latest line used by "leave".
How crazy would it be to have another wave of terrorism over a drive to secure a new trade deal ??

Of course, it's not just a trade deal, as, all of our freedom's are eroded following Brexit.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17113No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 12:3026th Mar 24 17:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Well, the answer is Mrs Theresa May, although she did need help from the DUP to be able to form a government.
You do remember the "strong and stable" election, dont you ?

Mind you, compared to Boris, her government was strong and stable :oops:

I think our fishy friend is trying to be smart (infinite monkey theorem) but no PM is technically elected by the people. The leader of the biggest party is invited by the Queen to be PM.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200618 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 23 22:1119th Feb 23 21:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:08 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Are you for real - I don't think so - Parliament has done everything it can to block Brexit and that includes the speaker.

Read slowly, for the billionth time: WE ARE ONLY STILL IN THE EU BECAUSE THE HARDEST BREXITEERS VOTED AGAINST THE CONSERVATIVE DEAL.

Labour were never going to vote for such a deal which didn't meet their red lines, and nor should they have given May decided to go for a rather hard version of Brexit. By the time she started trying to get them on board it was too late for her politically.
IR80 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 24 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Sep 20 02:4026th Aug 20 00:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:15 pm  
tigertot wrote:
I think our fishy friend is trying to be smart (infinite monkey theorem) but no PM is technically elected by the people. The leader of the biggest party is invited by the Queen to be PM.

Yay, insults (attempted, again).

We have NEVER VOTED FOR A PM, like we have never voted for the House of Lords, the Supreme Court, in fact, we don't actually vote for much, and when we do, it gets ignored.
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
Read slowly, for the billionth time: WE ARE ONLY STILL IN THE EU BECAUSE THE HARDEST BREXITEERS VOTED AGAINST THE CONSERVATIVE DEAL.

Labour were never going to vote for such a deal which didn't meet their red lines, and nor should they have given May decided to go for a rather hard version of Brexit. By the time she started trying to get them on board it was too late for her politically.

Oh god change the record. I'll repeat pretty much what I said to you the last time you reeled this irrelevant claptrap out: All you're trying to do is absolve the opposition from any responsibility in enacting the result of the referendum.

The opposite benches voted to hold a referendum, they voted for Article 50, they campaigned on leave manifestos, they promised to "honour and respect" the result. Approx 150 Labour constituencies voted to leave, yet only around 5 Labour MPs (that's 3% of MPs "representing" leave constituencies) have chosen to honour that vote. Again and again they act to hinder and delay, preferring to damage the government rather than enact the referendum. They are a hypocritical lying disgrace.

Yes, the ERG are as guilty as anyone, but at least they're upfront about their intentions, and frankly they're only small in number. Just 34 Tories voted against the deal last time alongside 234 Labour + 76 others.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:50 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:

Remain leaning MPs are far more than 114 - there are 50 SNP for a start so let's be realistic - just because they voted to trigger article 50 doesn't mean they supported leave. David Lammy is one example, Hilary Benn, Ken Clarke another etc.

As a country we shouldn't let a few idiots in Ireland and the inability of the Irish governments to control their citizens. The troubles in the end were simply a cover for organised crime which provided arms to other organised criminals. This still goes on but the lack of a border makes it even easier.

The problem is anything but no deal basically leaves you in and you trade independence for trade access to Europe. As I said before we went into Europe to smooth trade what has happened is we are now controlled by a super state run by the unelected such as Barnier, Tusk and Jonkers. Labour are simply going to offer you two versions of remain.
Mild Rover wrote:

Remain leaning MPs are far more than 114 - there are 50 SNP for a start so let's be realistic - just because they voted to trigger article 50 doesn't mean they supported leave. David Lammy is one example, Hilary Benn, Ken Clarke another etc.

As a country we shouldn't let a few idiots in Ireland and the inability of the Irish governments to control their citizens. The troubles in the end were simply a cover for organised crime which provided arms to other organised criminals. This still goes on but the lack of a border makes it even easier.

The problem is anything but no deal basically leaves you in and you trade independence for trade access to Europe. As I said before we went into Europe to smooth trade what has happened is we are now controlled by a super state run by the unelected such as Barnier, Tusk and Jonkers. Labour are simply going to offer you two versions of remain.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) : Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:

Please - the ERG were a tiny minority compared to Labour and SNP who voted against the withdrawl agreement. Stop talking clap trap as usual

A soft Brexit is a worse option than remain - everybody knows that - Labour know it - they will negotiate a soft Brexit and then campaign against it - happy days!!
PreviousNext