FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Home v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 22nd April 2018 3pm
RankPostsTeam
International Star3445
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 06 201113 years208th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 13:1210th May 24 09:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Stand-Offish wrote:
Alan ... nothing to do with ability.
Howden is the stand-off we need.
My criticism of any player in our side apart from the odd one is not about ability OR effort.
The lads have that in spades.
It is a pretty good side.

No ... it is to do with the other and equally important side of the game namely the mental side.

To me Howden doing what he did was on a par with the stupidest of penalties.
Of course it was worse ... it was a penalty ... AND a vital man down ... AND Fev scored twice while he was off and essentially wrapped tge game up.

That has nothing to do with not playing for a while.

I would say to all the lads ... be a TEAM player and stop petulant maverick reactions.

Doing what Jordan Howden did, throwing the ball away when the opposition has a 20 metre restart, is common in Super League games. The ref usually stops the clock and takes no further action. The attempt to slow the game down in such a way should be outlawed. Howden was wrong and deserved a yellow card but the refs must be consistent and make that the punishment every time it is done.

Delaying tactics at a handover usually involve some skirmish when handing the ball over. This needs stopping too. In all situations, 20 metre restart and handover, the player should be required to place the ball on the ground immediately when held is called or a penalty should be awarded against them. In fact, Howden complained to the ref when a Fev player threw the ball away on a handover, but the ref took no further action.

And whilst we're on about rules, there must be a time limit for a goal-kicker to take the shot at goal. This business of drinks all round before a kick is taken needs stopping. The kicker should have 60 seconds to take the attempt at goal from when the touch judges and ref are in place. If he doesn't take it in that time, the right to kick at goal should be lost.

Three simple changes that would make the game much better to watch! :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18609No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200618 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 22:0011th Feb 24 18:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Somewhere in Bonny Donny (Twinned with Krakatoa in 1883).
Signature
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Double Movement wrote:
Doing what Jordan Howden did, throwing the ball away when the opposition has a 20 metre restart, is common in Super League games. The ref usually stops the clock and takes no further action. The attempt to slow the game down in such a way should be outlawed. Howden was wrong and deserved a yellow card but the refs must be consistent and make that the punishment every time it is done.

Delaying tactics at a handover usually involve some skirmish when handing the ball over. This needs stopping too. In all situations, 20 metre restart and handover, the player should be required to place the ball on the ground immediately when held is called or a penalty should be awarded against them. In fact, Howden complained to the ref when a Fev player threw the ball away on a handover, but the ref took no further action.

And whilst we're on about rules, there must be a time limit for a goal-kicker to take the shot at goal. This business of drinks all round before a kick is taken needs stopping. The kicker should have 60 seconds to take the attempt at goal from when the touch judges and ref are in place. If he doesn't take it in that time, the right to kick at goal should be lost.

Three simple changes that would make the game much better to watch! :wink:

The incident when the Fev player did it and no action was taken did not go unnoticed.
I was not best pleased.
He could have given it as well to seem fair as the result was all but decided in Fev's favour.
But he was too thick to even do that.

That is wrong, just plain wrong.

The ref should have electrodes attached to his gonads and asked to explain the difference and why at a critical time in the game he decided, as well he did, to spoil it.
What is wrong with just having a word with the player?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2603
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th May 20 16:2525th May 20 16:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rugbyman has retired. Welcome to Another Penalty

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach76No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Nov 19 12:107th Oct 19 10:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I thought Doncaster were the more up for it, completely out enthused us in the first half and for periods of the second, just lacked that killer instinct to score with the pressure you had at the start of the first half. I think your kick at goal did us a favour.

Thought Tali and AJB absolutely ripped Taulapapa a new one in defense which caused Briscoe to waver too. I know which number 4 I'd rather have in my side next week.

For what it's worth I do think the delaying a restart does need looking at but I believe the 20m restart has its own rule where any attempt to delay it is an automatic sin bin, I assume because a 20m restart can be taken quickly whereas a handover, scrum, penalty etc. has to be controlled by the referee.

Good luck for the rest of the year and fingers crossed we see you in the championship next year along with York.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator95146No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 18 200222 years124th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 22:0712th May 24 22:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Dons11 wrote:
Taking a lot more positives than negatives from that game. Effort was certainly there. AJB man of match for me. Still waiting for Boyle to prove me wrong and show up well in a game.

There's a piece in this morning's League Weekly with the headline Boyle Says His Best Is Still To Come.

It talks about his pulled hamstring during the Whitehaven game, failed fitness test on the day of the York fixture and reports that Boyle says 'he has plenty more to offer'.
Dons11 
RankPostsTeam
International Star113No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th May 19 09:4719th May 19 17:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wanderer wrote:
There's a piece in this morning's League Weekly with the headline Boyle Says His Best Is Still To Come.

It talks about his pulled hamstring during the Whitehaven game, failed fitness test on the day of the York fixture and reports that Boyle says 'he has plenty more to offer'.

Wonder what is reason is for not turning up in the last 2 games then? As said I wait for him to prove me wrong. Hes had a lot of pressure heaped on his shoulders and I can’t say he’s proving himself to be the leader I expected.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain351
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 11 20177 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:5225th Apr 24 06:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

AJB was outstanding yesterday, his best game for the club by far.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4058
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 03 200519 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 10:025th May 24 19:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wanderer wrote:

Is it similar to this piece http://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/a ... ishing-cup

I know I will get shot at on here :SHOOT: for this but IMO its too early in the Season to give up on the club Captain (if in fact that is who some are referring) Give the bloke a chance, just because one player is not yet up and firing like the rest of the squad is not a reason to write him off.
Wanderer wrote:

Is it similar to this piece http://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/a ... ishing-cup

I know I will get shot at on here :SHOOT: for this but IMO its too early in the Season to give up on the club Captain (if in fact that is who some are referring) Give the bloke a chance, just because one player is not yet up and firing like the rest of the squad is not a reason to write him off.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4058
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 03 200519 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 10:025th May 24 19:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

toastymcb wrote:
I thought Doncaster were the more up for it, completely out enthused us in the first half and for periods of the second, just lacked that killer instinct to score with the pressure you had at the start of the first half. I think your kick at goal did us a favour.

Thought Tali and AJB absolutely ripped Taulapapa a new one in defense which caused Briscoe to waver too. I know which number 4 I'd rather have in my side next week.

For what it's worth I do think the delaying a restart does need looking at but I believe the 20m restart has its own rule where any attempt to delay it is an automatic sin bin, I assume because a 20m restart can be taken quickly whereas a handover, scrum, penalty etc. has to be controlled by the referee.

Good luck for the rest of the year and fingers crossed we see you in the championship next year along with York.

Cheers fellow and all the best to you as well, it was good to see such away numbers and a strong Family ethic from the Fev fans.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18609No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200618 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 22:0011th Feb 24 18:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Somewhere in Bonny Donny (Twinned with Krakatoa in 1883).
Signature
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Moonshine wrote:

There would need to be a cure for slowness for that to happen.
Moonshine wrote:

There would need to be a cure for slowness for that to happen.
PreviousNext