FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 am  
PopTart wrote:
Why have you got such a big problem with the tweet?
Its no different to an interview on Sky or BBC. Its just that he controlled it himself.
He didn't name the player or have a go at Wigan. He didn't even give a biased unfounded opinion like many do.
He got the video so you could decide for yourself whether it was a fair tackle. As it was already being talked about I thought that was pretty straight and honest of him.

I don’t have a “big problem” with it, just a different opinion to it. I’ve already explained why as it’s not achieving anything except get him some likes and fan support on social media. If players and coaches want to see this tackle stop then go about properly and seriously together.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:03 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
No, but they’ve had a key involvement in how the disciplinary process operates so if Fifita or Wakefield fans want to know why this kind of tackle isn’t punished harsher then you can try get some answers from your chairman instead of just blaming the RFL or saying “Wigan can do what they want etc.”

What an obtuse and stupid argument; "Mr Carter was once involved in a review panel, so you must take all your issues around disciplinary matters to him forever onwards?" Dimwit.

And David Fifita didn't say that; he posted a video and expressed a view about that kind of tackle - which is he perfectly at liberty to do, and which no one seems to have an issue with, except you.

As for the “what if it was Merrin?” As pointed out Leeds and Cuthbertson were on the receiving end of the same thing 3 years ago, don’t recall too many neutrals kicking up a fuss. If they did maybe this punishment for this type of tackle would’ve increased significantly well before last week’s game.

So your real issue is that you don't feel your own player received sufficient support or sympathy from neutral fans, so you're manufacturing a reason to criticise the victim rather than the perpetrator?

As for the last part, that’s exactly been my point. I’ve never defended the tackle, never said it shouldn’t be punished harder. But the reality is when it next happens to another player at another club will Wakefield fans and Fifita make much if any noise about it? I doubt it.

I should hope they will - but at this stage, you seem to be criticising something that has yet to happen. All I can do is promise you faithfully that if it *does* happen to a Leeds player, I'll be equally outraged by it - and if I'm not, you can quote this and make me look silly.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 pm  
bren2k wrote:
What an obtuse and stupid argument; "Mr Carter was once involved in a review panel, so you must take all your issues around disciplinary matters to him forever onwards?" Dimwit.

If that’s how you’ve interpreted what I wrote and twisted it in your head to have a go at me and insult me then their really isn’t any point debating with you. Just showing yourself up really and sensitive to anything involving Carter.....if Leneghan or GH was on the review board and I pointed it out I’m sure that would’ve gotten a different response from Wakefield fans.

bren2k wrote:
So your real issue is that you don't feel your own player received sufficient support or sympathy from neutral fans, so you're manufacturing a reason to criticise the victim rather than the perpetrator?

I should hope they will - but at this stage, you seem to be criticising something that has yet to happen. All I can do is promise you faithfully that if it *does* happen to a Leeds player, I'll be equally outraged by it - and if I'm not, you can quote this and make me look silly.

It has happened though, to a few clubs for a few years now. The fact that you say if it happens in future....when it’s happened plenty shows the exact problem I highlight, you care now because it’s your player.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
If that’s how you’ve interpreted what I wrote and twisted it in your head to have a go at me and insult me then their really isn’t any point debating with you. Just showing yourself up really and sensitive to anything involving Carter.....if Leneghan or GH was on the review board and I pointed it out I’m sure that would’ve gotten a different response from Wakefield fans.

Nope - I haven't interpreted anything - that's what you actually said; and your final sentence reveals your true agenda - you have a constant habit of referring to Wakefield 'fans' as if we're one homogenous blob who are all of one view - which clearly isn't the case, as it isn't for supporters of any club; I'm sure, for example, that not all Leeds fans are as obtuse as you, so I wouldn't state it as fact.

It has happened though, to a few clubs for a few years now. The fact that you say if it happens in future....when it’s happened plenty shows the exact problem I highlight, you care now because it’s your player.

Nope - as I've said twice in this thread, I despise the tactic of deliberately trying to injure the opposition, because I love the game, and I've been very vocal about it, regardless of who does it - and that includes my own team. I think it's long overdue time when coaches, players, chairmen and fans stopped excusing the actions of their own players, and only condemning cheating and foul play when it directly affects their own team - that way, there might be a bit more pressure on the RFL to actually listen and do something.

So - I applaud Fifita highlighting the danger of the cannonball tackle, and I hope that something is done that goes beyond a retrospective, situational response to one incident.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain366No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Jul 20 12:0020th May 20 12:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"It's the refs fault again". Biggest moaning whingers in RL.

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:31 pm  
I can recall in recent seasons that grub Brett Ferres doing a rather horrible crusher tackle on Oliver Gildart which broke three vertebrae in his back and put him out for three months. I don't think Gildart took to twitter to cry about it during his spell out unlike Fifita who'll actually be playing again this week.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm  
bren2k wrote:
Nope - I haven't interpreted anything - that's what you actually said

So where exactly did I write “Mr Carter was once involved in a review panel, so you must take all your issues around disciplinary matters to him forever onwards?" Because that’s what you turned it in to. I said they could ask him about this one single issue, not every single issue forever onwards. Why is asking your Chairman ONE single question about the disciplinary such a sensitive idea to you?

bren2k wrote:
So - I applaud Fifita highlighting the danger of the cannonball tackle, and I hope that something is done that goes beyond a retrospective, situational response to one incident.

So you think one single tweet should be applauded as doing something but get upset at the idea of asking a member of the Disciplinary Review Panel - who would gladly answer his own fans - about it and is worthy of insulting the person who suggested it. Very very strange
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5662
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 200915 years236th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 20:587th May 24 22:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:58 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
So where exactly did I write “Mr Carter was once involved in a review panel, so you must take all your issues around disciplinary matters to him forever onwards?" Because that’s what you turned it in to. I said they could ask him about this one single issue, not every single issue forever onwards. Why is asking your Chairman ONE single question about the disciplinary such a sensitive idea to you?

So you think one single tweet should be applauded as doing something but get upset at the idea of asking a member of the Disciplinary Review Panel - who would gladly answer his own fans - about it and is worthy of insulting the person who suggested it. Very very strange

Don't you think it's very likely maybe that fifita and Carter have talked about it, not just when that happened but in the past as well, since it's been a bone of contention for quite a while, especially with big players who can't be put down easily like fifita?

Also just because Carter was on a review panel last year, do you know what was suggested by the 4 that was representing it and what got actually taken on board by the RFL?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

23/08/2014

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:27 pm  
Shifty Cat wrote:
Don't you think it's very likely maybe that fifita and Carter have talked about it, not just when that happened but in the past as well, since it's been a bone of contention for quite a while, especially with big players who can't be put down easily like fifita?

Also just because Carter was on a review panel last year, do you know what was suggested by the 4 that was representing it and what got actually taken on board by the RFL?

No I don’t....that’s why it’s worth asking. Carter is open and honest with his own supporters, as Wakey fans you’d certainly get more out of him than questioning the RFL . Like you say he may have suggested some good stuff that didn’t get implemented, I never blamed him, just put out the idea of asking him given his relationship with Wakefield fans. I doubt most Wakefield fans were aware that he was part of the Disciplinary Review Board before I pointed it out.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 02 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jul 21 12:383rd Jul 21 12:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:50 pm  
JonnoTheGreat wrote:
I can recall in recent seasons that grub Brett Ferres doing a rather horrible crusher tackle on Oliver Gildart which broke three vertebrae in his back and put him out for three months. I don't think Gildart took to twitter to cry about it during his spell out unlike Fifita who'll actually be playing again this week.

:SLEEPY:
P-J 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1828No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 201014 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 21:3626th Apr 24 19:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RFL & SL allowing its Brand to weaken. : Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 pm  
Any comments on the Peyroux 'tackle' on Shorrocks, or is it only Wigan players that are weakening the brand of RL by intentionally trying to injure players?
PreviousNext