FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The Art of Spin.....
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:42 pm  
Call Me God wrote:
9,067 is the average for the 4 seasons since licencing was aborted. The number for the last 4 seasons of Licensing? 9,293.........the last 4 years before licensing 9.538....changing the format is akin to swapping deckchairs on the Titanic.....pointless.....the trend is downward.

Bradford’s presence/non presence in those different time periods will have a key baring in the differences. At the start of that earliest period you list they were still getting 5 figure crowds.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:50 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
Bradford’s presence/non presence in those different time periods will have a key baring in the differences. At the start of that earliest period you list they were still getting 5 figure crowds.

In a nutshell, this is the problem with the game. If Leeds or Wigan were to vanish and be replaced by Toronto/Toulouse, we'd see another 5%+ drop....and it's a drop that the game can't afford.Regardless of relegation/Promotion, the games governing body and the owners need to up their game.........

........BTW......London in 2006 averaged 4,700.........over double their average this year to date and Leeds were on 14,200 and Wigan 14,500.......the spiral is downward, no matter how some would spin it!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:55 pm  
Call Me God wrote:
In a nutshell, this is the problem with the game. If Leeds or Wigan were to vanish and be replaced by Toronto/Toulouse, we'd see another 5%+ drop....and it's a drop that the game can't afford.Regardless of relegation/Promotion, the games governing body and the owners need to up their game.........

........BTW......London in 2006 averaged 4,700.........over double their average this year to date and Leeds were on 14,200 and Wigan 14,500.......the spiral is downward, no matter how some would spin it!

Again, Leeds are at limited capacity - 13,500 I believe. So why you include them at this moment I don’t know. Look at their numbers constantly and they’ve stayed at 15k -15,500k for several years. Let’s see what they get in 2020 with all the ground open all season long.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:31 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
Again, Leeds are at limited capacity - 13,500 I believe. So why you include them at this moment I don’t know. Look at their numbers constantly and they’ve stayed at 15k -15,500k for several years. Let’s see what they get in 2020 with all the ground open all season long.

Leeds could be playing out of a building site......or Elland Road which they did last year. I get it that you think that they'll be back up again in 2020, but a 13,500 limit should really mean that a 13,500 HOUSE FULL poster would have been up at their games thus far....it hasn't!........if there are 15,500 fans, then the clamor for tickets would dictate full houses......and across the board, gates are in a downward spiral.
Wakefield, sitting 4th on the ladder have a 5k average....Castleford in 3rd 7,800.....hardly "super" and the slight up in their gates is negated by the drop at Wigan (forget leeds if it upsets you so much......)...FC are running a K down as well.....

Since 2006 we have seen numbers decrease......SPIN IT as you like blaming building work, Bradford going down or the dog eating your homework, it doesn't change the fact that numbers are down!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

23/08/2014

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 pm  
Call Me God wrote:
Leeds could be playing out of a building site......or Elland Road which they did last year. I get it that you think that they'll be back up again in 2020, but a 13,500 limit should really mean that a 13,500 HOUSE FULL poster would have been up at their games thus far....it hasn't!........if there are 15,500 fans, then the clamor for tickets would dictate full houses......and across the board, gates are in a downward spiral.
Wakefield, sitting 4th on the ladder have a 5k average....Castleford in 3rd 7,800.....hardly "super" and the slight up in their gates is negated by the drop at Wigan (forget leeds if it upsets you so much......)...FC are running a K down as well.....

Since 2006 we have seen numbers decrease......SPIN IT as you like blaming building work, Bradford going down or the dog eating your homework, it doesn't change the fact that numbers are down!

No I agree others should be doing better, Wigan’s drop over the years is poor. But criticising a club that has limited capacity at the moment is ridiculous and i don’t think you really thought about it or knew their stadium capacity limit before you highlighted them and are just digging a hole in this one.

Could’ve played at Elland Road all last year, but no guarantee Leeds Utd would let us, also the club said the cost of playing there was s factor. Could’ve got a bigger crowd but it’d be money going into Leeds Utd’s pockets instead of Leeds Rhinos.

Not all fans who have spent years in the main touch line stands were keen in being packed in like sardines behind the posts and put some off. When we played at Elland Road last year we got 16k plus vs HKR the week before a WCC game in Australia and 23k vs Cas so more than confident that when we have the stadium up to capacity we’ll be fine.

The irony that you complain of others spinning it but when you post figures with no context you don’t like them being given any context or debated. Quite hypocritical.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:31 am  
ThePrinter wrote:
No I agree others should be doing better, Wigan’s drop over the years is poor. But criticising a club that has limited capacity at the moment is ridiculous and i don’t think you really thought about it or knew their stadium capacity limit before you highlighted them and are just digging a hole in this one.

Could’ve played at Elland Road all last year, but no guarantee Leeds Utd would let us, also the club said the cost of playing there was s factor. Could’ve got a bigger crowd but it’d be money going into Leeds Utd’s pockets instead of Leeds Rhinos.

Not all fans who have spent years in the main touch line stands were keen in being packed in like sardines behind the posts and put some off. When we played at Elland Road last year we got 16k plus vs HKR the week before a WCC game in Australia and 23k vs Cas so more than confident that when we have the stadium up to capacity we’ll be fine.

The irony that you complain of others spinning it but when you post figures with no context you don’t like them being given any context or debated. Quite hypocritical.

If I were selling oranges and my shop was up for refurbishment, but I knew I was the #1 orange seller in town, would I:
A/ just sell fewer oranges and run the risk of my buyers going elsewhere
or
B/ Take a hit on the rent of another shop for a couple of years and make sure my Orange buyers requirements were met?

Attending games is a habit......those fans who've not bothered for 2 years may not bother again........or they might, but I for one would have treated them with the ultimate respect and courtesy when the building work was being done.

As for digging a hole? I am someone who posts and deals in facts......I am fully aware that Leeds have had a reduced capacity over the last couple of years.....but my point is that id they were limited to 12,800 or 13,500, surely the rush for tickets would have seen HOUSE FULL posters......it hasn't!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

23/08/2014

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 am  
Call Me God wrote:
If I were selling oranges and my shop was up for refurbishment, but I knew I was the #1 orange seller in town, would I:
or
B/ Take a hit on the rent of another shop for a couple of years and make sure my Orange buyers requirements were met?

Attending games is a habit......those fans who've not bothered for 2 years may not bother again........or they might, but I for one would have treated them with the ultimate respect and courtesy when the building work was being done.

As for digging a hole? I am someone who posts and deals in facts......I am fully aware that Leeds have had a reduced capacity over the last couple of years.....but my point is that id they were limited to 12,800 or 13,500, surely the rush for tickets would have seen HOUSE FULL posters......it hasn't!

That orange comparison to being a fan of a CERTAIN sports team really is extremely bad. If you like oranges you can go elsewhere and get the exact same product. If you’re a Leeds fan, possibly for decades you can’t get that anywhere else.

Whilst yes the force of habit can have an effect you just put the effort/time/resources/promotion etc. in to make sure you get them back and/or new fans in and you’ve got nothing say Leeds won’t be doing just that.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 am  
Call Me God wrote:
or

You’re right. Attending games is a habit. Whatever you do in this situation is changing that habit. Leeds could have played at Elland Road every week. But that wouldn’t have increased crowds particularly. Yes Leeds got high crowds for 2 games there last season. But they were one-off’s. That crowd level would not have been there all season because, as you say, it’s a habit and Rhinos fans habits are going to their spot or seat at Headingley not Elland Road.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1814No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 04 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 24 14:2029th Jun 21 09:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
*Insert witty banter type comment*

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 am  
With regards Leeds, doesn't help having both Leeds teams playing at the same time. Twice this season from memory I've known a number of regular Rhinos fans have to choose between the rugby and football. The choice of a team fighting for promotion to the Premiership or a team that is just bad to watch. Its an easy choice there straightaway.

With Easter, this year is the first time in years I've done both Easter games. Its just not practical to do both normally. Its a long weekend, I'd like to get away for a few days and that's my choice. I'd probably be more inclined to pick my teams home game to attend and miss the away game. Possibly the same for many others with familys
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

23/08/2014

Re: The Art of Spin..... : Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:56 pm  
Him wrote:
You’re right. Attending games is a habit. Whatever you do in this situation is changing that habit. Leeds could have played at Elland Road every week. But that wouldn’t have increased crowds particularly. Yes Leeds got high crowds for 2 games there last season. But they were one-off’s. That crowd level would not have been there all season because, as you say, it’s a habit and Rhinos fans habits are going to their spot or seat at Headingley not Elland Road.

Spot on, I recall when some fans suggested moving to Elland Road for the full season, plenty said they wouldn’t get season tickets if they did.
Previous