Sep 24 201212 years179th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 17:366th May 24 09:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:04 pm  
Nothus wrote:
It's probably something you don't want to hear but the best thing that could ever happen for you, Cas and Wakey would be a merger. You're all too close together geographically and there just isn't the fanbase to support all three of you at a level high enough so that you wouldn't be relying heavily on the central funding.
Right now Featherstone could replace Wakefield in SL and I think the outcome would be the same. Sure you might make a go of it with some shrewd signings and smart ownership but you'd always hover around the same level of support that you have now because there just isn't enough people for all three clubs to prosper.
Super League clubs need constant five figure crowds to ever manage to build and become a top side and realistically I can't see any of you managing that because of the geography of the situation.

Objectively, perhaps. Subjectively, a large percentage of Fev's support see a massive part of their identity as being Fev Not Cas, so it's never going to happen. It's the same principle as, for instance, if New York, Ottawa, Toronto etc became SL powerhouses and Wigan and St helens, or Hull & Hull KR, were told they had to merge to prosper.

And it's difficult to tell a club that they should abandon hopes of being a SL team when there are teams currently in SL that they would see as having less viability long-term because they don't own their own ground or land around it and have no visible potential income streams.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1977
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 201013 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 09:5519th Oct 22 14:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:14 pm  
FevGrinder wrote:
My views are well documented across a number of forums. For me it's simple get rid of DR and let's just have the loan system. DR was brought in to save SL clubs money by not having reserve teams, but is a false economy for the game. with it we have had a shrinking player pool, which eventfully means that there will be a reduced quality in the player pool available. less quality equals less interest equals less revenues for the sport including TV.

Personally I would like to see all clubs in the top two tiers have to run reserve sides and to remove DR.

Hope your cousin is as good as Render who has come through this year and the likes of Bussy & Copper who have come through in previous years. Render only joined this year due to the reserves starting back up and got his first team opportunity due to an injury during warm up to a game and now he has made 14 first team appearances. So I think the opportunities are there if you have the ability and are willing to apply yourself.

Thanks for the response I am in total agreeance.

My cousin is called Brad Wright, he was going to come and play at Dudley Hill, I know of him but didn't put 2 and 2 together until one of my uncles said his nephew was at Fev. Hope it works out for him
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4534
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 31 200518 years254th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 10:0926th Mar 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 pm  
I think it is probably true to say that, had Featherstone had the funding that Wakefield have had for the past decade, they could be where Wakefield are.

But is that the aspiration? Playing in front of 4,000 people in a ground that badly needs upgrading (Featherstone actually have a better ground than Wakefield even now!), struggling to compete, making do with players that got rejected by the top clubs etc etc. All you do is replace one failing club with another - Featherstone instead of Wakefield, Leigh instead of Salford etc.

Surely we aspire to more than that? My hopes would be that IF we ever get back to SL we can actually thrive once more. The potential is clearly there for crowds of 10K+, with a history of successful player production, engagement with the community, decent marketing etc. OK the ground is a massive issue, that's for another thread.

What Super League needs is 10/12/14 (however many) clubs who are big, thriving, forward-looking clubs on the level of a Leeds, a Wigan, or a St Helens. Not clubs that are 'just there'. And I feel that Bradford Bulls have the potential to be one those in that bracket, whereas - frankly - I don't think Featherstone do.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5271
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 201014 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 24 16:256th Mar 24 20:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:57 pm  
Hopefully the reserves will allow us to bring local players in on trial without any pressure. Especially those that are late developers.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1068No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years179th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm  
paulwalker71 wrote:

What Super League needs is 10/12/14 (however many) clubs who are big, thriving, forward-looking clubs on the level of a Leeds, a Wigan, or a St Helens. Not clubs that are 'just there'. And I feel that Bradford Bulls have the potential to be one those in that bracket, whereas - frankly - I don't think Featherstone do.

There are literally three, maybe 4 of those clubs, and one of them is in danger of getting relegated.

There are lots of criteria towards being "what SL needs" and it will vary from supporter to supporter depending on the strengths of their club. Bradford fans will mention their support, but won't mention their ground, which most people describe in the same derogatory terms as Wakefield's. And at Fev we'll mention the ground, the fact that we own it and surrounding land and have revenue streams that could multiply, and we won't mention our attendances. And until there are 12/14 Wigan/St Helens who tick all the boxes, the debate will go on.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31600
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years75th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 06:208th May 24 15:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm  
I thought Fev had sold the surrounding land around the ground?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4534
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 31 200518 years254th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm  
The Phantom Horseman wrote:
There are literally three, maybe 4 of those clubs, and one of them is in danger of getting relegated. There are lots of criteria towards being "what SL needs" and it will vary from supporter to supporter depending on the strengths of their club. Bradford fans will mention their support, but won't mention their ground, which most people describe in the same derogatory terms as Wakefield's. And at Fev we'll mention the ground, the fact that we own it and surrounding land and have revenue streams that could multiply, and we won't mention our attendances. And until there are 12/14 Wigan/St Helens who tick all the boxes, the debate will go on.

That's kinda my point, mate

There's no real point in simply replacing clubs that people say 'bring nothing to the table' with other clubs who also don't bring anything to the table. We are just moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic.

We need to build up 10/12/14 clubs who have the potential to be getting big crowds, in decent stadiums, and who generate a big TV contract. Presumably that's why Toronto came in, and there's talk of New York and Ottowa. Let's be honest London vs Leeds and Toronto vs Bradford is a bit more enticing to the casual viewer than Batley vs Halifax and Leigh vs Featherstone...
RankPostsTeam
International Star1068No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years179th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:40 pm  
paulwalker71 wrote:
That's kinda my point, mate

There's no real point in simply replacing clubs that people say 'bring nothing to the table' with other clubs who also don't bring anything to the table. We are just moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic.

We need to build up 10/12/14 clubs who have the potential to be getting big crowds, in decent stadiums, and who generate a big TV contract. Presumably that's why Toronto came in, and there's talk of New York and Ottowa. Let's be honest London vs Leeds and Toronto vs Bradford is a bit more enticing to the casual viewer than Batley vs Halifax and Leigh vs Featherstone...

You've just proved my point. You've used the phrase "decent stadiums" ...and then included Bradford in your Utopian SL vision! Like I say, fans of each club will ignore their own team's shortcomings when suggesting they deserve to be in SL.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4534
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 31 200518 years254th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserves : Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:45 am  
The Phantom Horseman wrote:
You've just proved my point. You've used the phrase "decent stadiums" ...and then included Bradford in your Utopian SL vision! Like I say, fans of each club will ignore their own team's shortcomings when suggesting they deserve to be in SL.

I didn't ignore the ground issue at all, I actually highlighted it in my post above.

Having said that we have the capacity, 6000 seats and extensive corporate hospitality- so, despite the shortcomings, we do actually tick a few boxes and did back in the days of licensing.

I'm one of those who would gladly leave Odsal, if a suitable alternative were to be made available. Not much chance of that happening, unless we throw our lot in at Valley Parade - and then you have all the issues that teams like Wigan and Huddersfield have had in sharing with a football team.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4332
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 09 201113 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 17:589th Apr 24 08:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BULLSBOY2011:
'Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!'

Bradford Bulls Fan Since Birth :)

Re: Reserves : Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:08 am  
thepimp007 wrote:
Thanks for the response I am in total agreeance.

My cousin is called Brad Wright, he was going to come and play at Dudley Hill, I know of him but didn't put 2 and 2 together until one of my uncles said his nephew was at Fev. Hope it works out for him

Brad is a great lad. Play with him at Wibsey. Going well for the Fev reserves as well. Come along massively over the past 3 seasons.
PreviousNext