21st May 24 01:4220th May 24 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Prop Forwards : Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:16 pm  
homme vaste wrote:
Did you feel that way about Hampshire? TBH I think a part of me did, although I fully understood the reasons why you would pick the likes of Wigan over Wakefield.

Very much so I'm afraid.

That's why I sometimes get annoyed when I feel certain people demanding he is given the opportunity to prove himself at SH. I tend to think that it's a bit much to be indigent when you didn't want to know us as a junior and I'm talking about his advisors as much as I am about him. I think of all players who turn their back on their hometown club, you had your chance and you chose elsewhere. I know that's hugely simplistic but there is a grain of truth in it.

Put it this way, how many Wigan lads are in our Academy? It's not like Wigan pay them huge amounts in most cases, they just want to play wor Wigan. That's fine but when Wakey lads seemingly want to play for Wigan more than us then I'm not willing to back them in the same way I am a Jowitt or a Crowther.

I'm not so bothered about those who go to Cas or Leeds as that's still fairly local but to go over the Pennines every day, you have to really want that, they have IMHO clearly made their choice.

Also, I'm not sure I do understand why they join Wigan, it's a bit of a meat grinder IMHO, they seem to ruin far more players than they create. Wakefield district is littered with young players who Wigan and others chewed up and spat out. I honestly believe clubs like Trinity give you a far better chance to develop at your own pace, just my opinion.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35988
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 01:4220th May 24 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Prop Forwards : Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 pm  
GiantJake1988 wrote:
Kirby wont feature at all this season. He did his ACL last season and as far as I know hes ruled out of this season.

I have heard there could be a swap deal on its way between James Gavet and one of your props.

Ahhh that conversation you've been hearing in your head for the past 18 month :roll:
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20184No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 05:5817th May 24 23:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Prop Forwards : Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm  
homme vaste wrote:
There seems to be a shortage of props throughout the league when you look down the squads, without knowing the details in full it seems baffling to me that we didn't push to keep hold of Koppy or Navarette.

Are you a Wakefield fans Jonh? What`s the affiliation with Wigan, interested to know :D

It’s a strange one. My Granddad on my Dads side was born in Wigan and despite moving to Wakefield as a boy pre WW2 remained an absolute Wigan fanatic to the day he died, my dad was brought up a Wigan fan however being born in Wakefield he also had an affinity for Trinity which was strengthened when he met my mum due to my mums uncle being Keith Holliday, although somewhat ironically my mum had her head turned towards Wigan too.

When I was a kid I spent most of my time with my grandad on my dads side which invariably meant going to watch Wigan on the weekend, however we would also go to Trinity and other clubs too but most of the influence was Wigan.

Both clubs have always been followed fairly passionately in our house though, by both my parents and Trinity were always my second team. Played in the Academy and did so coaching at Trinity too and I’d say from about 95/6 Wakefield have been as much my first team as Wigan, if not more so for the last 10 years.

Strangely my wife who isn’t from a rugby league area started following Trinity when my 15 year old first started playing and she was initially “forced” to attend and the oldest lad is a Trinity fan, my youngest lad who is 14 says he is a Wigan fan, but there are few more passionate than him on a match day in the North Stand and he is very keen to get picked up by Trinity.

So long story really but that is my somewhat cross contaminated rugby allegiance background.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20184No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 05:5817th May 24 23:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Prop Forwards : Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:27 pm  
vastman wrote:
Very much so I'm afraid.

That's why I sometimes get annoyed when I feel certain people demanding he is given the opportunity to prove himself at SH. I tend to think that it's a bit much to be indigent when you didn't want to know us as a junior and I'm talking about his advisors as much as I am about him. I think of all players who turn their back on their hometown club, you had your chance and you chose elsewhere. I know that's hugely simplistic but there is a grain of truth in it.

Put it this way, how many Wigan lads are in our Academy? It's not like Wigan pay them huge amounts in most cases, they just want to play wor Wigan. That's fine but when Wakey lads seemingly want to play for Wigan more than us then I'm not willing to back them in the same way I am a Jowitt or a Crowther.

I'm not so bothered about those who go to Cas or Leeds as that's still fairly local but to go over the Pennines every day, you have to really want that, they have IMHO clearly made their choice.

Also, I'm not sure I do understand why they join Wigan, it's a bit of a meat grinder IMHO, they seem to ruin far more players than they create. Wakefield district is littered with young players who Wigan and others chewed up and spat out. I honestly believe clubs like Trinity give you a far better chance to develop at your own pace, just my opinion.

I knew a few lads who chose Wigan that are from this area at Academy level, and Leeds too over Trinity despite being Trinity supporters and quite a few who go to Leeds despite being massive Cas supporters.

In nearly every case, rightly or wrongly, when chatting to them the perception is that if they don’t make the grade at Wigan or Leeds then they still have a chance at getting a crack at SL from a traditionally weaker club. If they don’t make the grade at Trinity then again the perception is that a SL career is no longer an option.

My opinion in some cases they are right but for others they are wrong. For me it’s a call you have to make as an individual and what your strengths and weaknesses are.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 23 20204 years226th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 24 19:5518th May 24 07:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Prop Forwards : Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:39 pm  
jonh wrote:
I knew a few lads who chose Wigan that are from this area at Academy level, and Leeds too over Trinity despite being Trinity supporters and quite a few who go to Leeds despite being massive Cas supporters.

In nearly every case, rightly or wrongly, when chatting to them the perception is that if they don’t make the grade at Wigan or Leeds then they still have a chance at getting a crack at SL from a traditionally weaker club. If they don’t make the grade at Trinity then again the perception is that a SL career is no longer an option.

My opinion in some cases they are right but for others they are wrong. For me it’s a call you have to make as an individual and what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Interesting post this..
When these local lads at academy level chose say Wigan or Leeds over Trinity.
Is it because of the financial incentives?
Better training facilities ?
A bit of both?

If financial..
I have no idea on the financial difference offered between say Wigan/Leeds and Trinity does anyone know what sort of numbers were looking at?
I’m hopeful that if it’s the facilities, the new ground improvements and gym might persuade some to stay in the future.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5535
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 201113 years201st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 15:4920th May 24 15:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Prop Forwards : Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:07 pm  
Belle Vue wrote:
Interesting post this..
When these local lads at academy level chose say Wigan or Leeds over Trinity.
Is it because of the financial incentives?
Better training facilities ?
A bit of both?

If financial..
I have no idea on the financial difference offered between say Wigan/Leeds and Trinity does anyone know what sort of numbers were looking at?
I’m hopeful that if it’s the facilities, the new ground improvements and gym might persuade some to stay in the future.

Don’t think it’s financial as the so called big clubs don’t seem to pay much, unless it’s a one off, my opinion is it’s because they have been successful during these kids growing up years and walking about in there tracksuits looks good, a lot of kids are influenced by their parents as well which is understandable, not many progress at the top level at all clubs and either call it a day or play in the lower leagues, I know one youngster who was Jordan’s year and a decent prospect who has had 4 different tracksuits because he thought the grass was greener and plays part time now so most of the time it’s not the correct decision.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1069No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years179th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 17:3318th May 24 08:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Prop Forwards : Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm