21st May 24 11:3721st May 24 15:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Daryl Powell : Sun May 01, 2022 6:22 pm  
Smiffy27 wrote:
Stars??
Let's look at these boys.
How many of those lads do you think will play in the current England's starting team?
How good will England be anyway?
Other sides have signed useful non-English boys which we seem to have missed. Again I'm not saying we are rubbish ... but we are not packed full of the current stars of Super League as far as I can see.

Widdop and Williams we’re England first choice players at the time of signing with us. The point of my post is that we’re not getting the best out of them.

Currie has played for England under consecutive coaches. Ratchford has been consistently picked by them. Cooper is, be common acceptance, our best forward.

The whole point is that they are under performing. If they were nobody's, they wouldn’t comment marquee or huge wages.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 201212 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Daryl Powell : Sun May 01, 2022 6:34 pm  
[youtube][/youtube]
Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
I've read some nonsense on here before, but this is up there with the best of it :lol: :lol:

I mean 'he did ok' at Cas?? :lol: :lol:

He literally had a side consistently punching above its weight for most of his tenure - Wasn't it a League Leaders's Shield, a GF final appearance & 2 Wembley visits?

His departure was definitely at the right time - He had undoubtedly hit his ceiling there & both he and Cas were in need of a fresh start, but to call his spell there 'ok' is a joke - Like describing Tony Smith's spell with us as not bad.... :lol:

I did say he had a few good years, however, on the whole, routinely failed to get his team into the playoffs. Was it 3 in a row that he missed at the end of his time at Cas? He had some good times, but also had long periods of average. It’s mediocre.

People on here talk about Powell being a super coach, he’s missed the play offs more than he’s made them! Hardly a golden CV
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13643
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 25 200618 years9th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 14:5521st May 24 14:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Daryl Powell : Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 am  
Barbed Wire wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]I did say he had a few good years, however, on the whole, routinely failed to get his team into the playoffs. Was it 3 in a row that he missed at the end of his time at Cas? He had some good times, but also had long periods of average. It’s mediocre.

People on here talk about Powell being a super coach, he’s missed the play offs more than he’s made them! Hardly a golden CV

In your assessment you are neglecting to mention £.

He had Castleford outperforming their cap limit and had a number of man of steel players whilst improving young players.

Anyway what are the options? We had 3 barren years with Price, another 1 wont hurt and give Powell the chance.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 201212 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Daryl Powell : Mon May 02, 2022 2:31 pm  
Wires71 wrote:
In your assessment you are neglecting to mention £.

He had Castleford outperforming their cap limit and had a number of man of steel players whilst improving young players.

Anyway what are the options? We had 3 barren years with Price, another 1 wont hurt and give Powell the chance.

£ is one of the things that the board should have factored in though, as I’ve said. There’s little evidence that he can work with stars (debate on who the stars are aside), as Chase and Hardaker went off the rails and the others moved on quickly.

Paul Anderson has the same amount of trophies, and had success with a limited squad, but if he got the job we’d be scratching our heads in amazement.

My point is that the recruiting panel don’t seem to have a criteria for the post. The board have curated a squad of stars (at time of purchase) but haven’t got a leader who can get the best out of them. This isn’t a Powell bashing, this is that the direction from the executive isn’t clear.

To me, right now, it looks like the Cullen era when we had Monaghan, King, Anderson, Hicks etc and all the tools to compete but unfortunately the leader couldn’t squeeze the best out of them. And I love Paul Cullen, but the difference between Tony Smith and Paul Cullen is night and day.

If the board are maximising the cap, using the marquees and putting all of the available tools on the table for success, the coach must be a part of that plan, not just someone to hand out shirts. They need to knit the personalities, the EGO’s and the skills together to make a team.

I’m not saying Price is/was better (looks that way at the moment, his stock is rising with every poor week), but what I am saying is that we announced Price was leaving before a ball had been kicked, why rush and jump in to a decision unless it is the outstanding candidate.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13643
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 25 200618 years9th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 14:5521st May 24 14:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Daryl Powell : Mon May 02, 2022 3:23 pm  
Barbed Wire wrote:
£ is one of the things that the board should have factored in though, as I’ve said. There’s little evidence that he can work with stars (debate on who the stars are aside), as Chase and Hardaker went off the rails and the others moved on quickly.

Paul Anderson has the same amount of trophies, and had success with a limited squad, but if he got the job we’d be scratching our heads in amazement.

My point is that the recruiting panel don’t seem to have a criteria for the post. The board have curated a squad of stars (at time of purchase) but haven’t got a leader who can get the best out of them. This isn’t a Powell bashing, this is that the direction from the executive isn’t clear.

To me, right now, it looks like the Cullen era when we had Monaghan, King, Anderson, Hicks etc and all the tools to compete but unfortunately the leader couldn’t squeeze the best out of them. And I love Paul Cullen, but the difference between Tony Smith and Paul Cullen is night and day.

If the board are maximising the cap, using the marquees and putting all of the available tools on the table for success, the coach must be a part of that plan, not just someone to hand out shirts. They need to knit the personalities, the EGO’s and the skills together to make a team.

I’m not saying Price is/was better (looks that way at the moment, his stock is rising with every poor week), but what I am saying is that we announced Price was leaving before a ball had been kicked, why rush and jump in to a decision unless it is the outstanding candidate.

I think many will share the comments on our recruitment strategy (if there is one). I would like to see us have a Director of Rugby who can have a longer term view on recruitment, retention, strategy, facilities, standards, sporting direction. Free up Karl to concentrate on marketing and non sporting operations.

Price should be remembered for the CC win balanced with the 3 limp out playoffs. He had 4 seasons. 3 seasons to apply a "quick fix" which he never did. Powell has come into a circus poop show of a club and playing squad and has had 10 games or so.

If we are still in this predicament in 12 months time and not showing progress then I will be calling for him to go. Until then I back him 100%.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16254
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 20:2920th May 24 20:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Daryl Powell : Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 pm  
Barbed Wire wrote:

It's more like the Cullen era when we had Reardon, Rauhihi, Sullivan, Vinnie Anderson, Swann. Players who were past their best or not as good as we thought.
Previous