Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace “They don’t bring any away supporters!”

Post subject: “They don’t bring any away supporters!”
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 pm 
Strong-running second rower

http://nothingbutleague.com/2018/08/16/ ... ling-away/

Quote:Go into any rugby league forum where the RFL and the Super League are being discussed and, sooner or later, Catalans, Toulouse, and Toronto will come up. These three teams give rise to some very strongly held opinions, with some enthusiastically in favour, and some stridently against. One can expect to see a litany of complaints, the foremost being “they don’t bring any away fans”.

Post subject: Re: “They don’t bring any away supporters!”
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

As Michael Carter stated. Toronto were admitted by the RFL under their due diligence. They now face the due diligence of Super League. Right or wrong if Toronto can meet due diligence they will take their place in SL if gained on merit.

Catalans are an established SL club with Toulouse following in their path. No comment from Michael Carter regarding Toulouse.Why?

Because they already meet due diligence.

Nothing to do with away supporters is it. Then again it must be as Michael Carter said he needs 14 home games to survive,bin the Super 8's and we'll survive for another 3 years at least. He couldn't care less whats in that away stand.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Read my signature AND LOCK THE THREAD.....

JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:05 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Call Me God wrote:Read my signature AND LOCK THE THREAD.....

It's not necessarily about the money, and that's the thing you constantly miss in this argument.

Away fans add atmosphere (in the UK we sing a lot at each other and for their respective teams). This should not be underestimated. It makes a simple game into an occasion and adds more emotion to it. This looks and sounds better on TV and is even better in reality when you are there at the ground. Imagine a Hull derby without one set of supporters. Yes the game might still be great, but as any broadcast person will tell you, its the sound that generates the atmosphere and heightens the emotions.

Whilst a stadium full of home support might look great, it's the noise of home and away support that make a gane into an occasion which in turn, when televised, might encourage others to be part of in the future because they want to experience it first hand.

And the Geek shall inherit the Earth!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:09 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The champions league in football has been a complete flop for that very reason, oh hang on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Gallanteer wrote:It's not necessarily about the money, and that's the thing you constantly miss in this argument.

Because it's not really anything tangible. Some of the best atmosphere's I have seen as a Leeds supporter have been events like the WCC and our tour game vs NZ - games that attracted big crowds with, quite possibly, not a single away fan.

How many times do supporters walk away from a run-of-the-mill fixture on a Sunday afternoon sayng "that atmosphere was electric"?

Quote:I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Quote:Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:01 am 

Call Me God wrote:Read my signature AND LOCK THE THREAD.....

You change your signature every week. Did you even read the article??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Gallanteer wrote:It's not necessarily about the money, and that's the thing you constantly miss in this argument.

Away fans add atmosphere (in the UK we sing a lot at each other and for their respective teams). This should not be underestimated. It makes a simple game into an occasion and adds more emotion to it. This looks and sounds better on TV and is even better in reality when you are there at the ground. Imagine a Hull derby without one set of supporters. Yes the game might still be great, but as any broadcast person will tell you, its the sound that generates the atmosphere and heightens the emotions.

Whilst a stadium full of home support might look great, it's the noise of home and away support that make a gane into an occasion which in turn, when televised, might encourage others to be part of in the future because they want to experience it first hand.

Atmosphere is all well and good.....but its not a luxury English RL can afford. As for your "if they see it on TV they will come" marketing strategy, you are Nigel and I claim my fiver......

JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Call Me God wrote:Atmosphere is all well and good.....but its not a luxury English RL can afford. As for your "if they see it on TV they will come" marketing strategy, you are Nigel and I claim my fiver......

Actually, atmosphere is one way to try and encourage support and interest. Plus sponsors might be more encouraged that people actually watch the sport. TV veiwing figures are less tangible or immediate.

And LOL at the fiver response, I guess that's one each.

And the Geek shall inherit the Earth!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:34 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Gallanteer wrote:Actually, atmosphere is one way to try and encourage support and interest. Plus sponsors might be more encouraged that people actually watch the sport. TV veiwing figures are less tangible or immediate.

And LOL at the fiver response, I guess that's one each.

How are TV viewers less tangible? They're the single biggest revenue source for most of our professional clubs.

Quote:I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Quote:Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com