OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 20:159th Mar 24 16:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Get rid : Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm  
I never liked them but now I truly loathe them.

Stupid club monikers that’s what.

They are cheap and meaningless and imo add nothing.

All the clubs who don’t have silly animal names and badges look so much classier.

HKR
Hull FC
Wakefield Trinity
St Helens (who had far to much class to ever entertain the idea in the first place)

All sound better and all have better logos and thus a far more professional look.

Of course some of the animal branded teams work better than others. Castleford Tigers and Warrington Wolves have a certain ring to them.

I accept there is a certain history to Salford Red Devil’s though frankly I feel it’s probably to late to really reclaim it.

The rest are cheap, meaningless and tbh these days not even effective - people have moved on from daft tat like that and can see straight through it.

Giants and Dragons and Broncos are all plain embarrassing. However the two worst one are Leeds Rhinos (what the hell have Leeds got to do with Rhinos) and Wigan Warriors, a seriously unimaginative steal from NZ.

Leeds and Wigan are two of our three premier clubs, hugely recognisiable in there own right. Leeds as a major city is worth its weight in gold it doesn’t need a silly name tagging on, pLeeds RL was just fine.

As for Wigan, Wigan are by far our most famous and recognised club and as such need no embellishment. What’s worse is they only seem to use the Warrior tag half heartedly, which makes it even worse.

I’m sure the amazing number of marketing experts who seem to inhabit the VT will tell me what a great marketing tool they are. Well maybe once at the inception of SL but now they just look tired and jokey so I don’t buy that argument.

When Wakefield reverted to Trinity I know Carter was very nervous and only did it due to fans demands. He’s never regretted it since as Trinity merchandise flies off the shelf in a way Wildcats stuff never did. Although some of that is due to the teams improved performances the bulk is not.

Almost anyone above the age of 20 prefers tradition to silly cartoon names and badges. If Leeds dropped the Rhino motif I don’t think they would lose a penny, in fact I recon they would only gain. Whilst the prestige of just being Leeds RL would be worth even more.

Get rid, grow up and show some pride in the past and some faith in the future. We are a traditional and prestigious sport, we don’t need it anymore, as with imagination we can and should make our past work for us.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: Get rid : Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 pm  
Look at you just trolling having at go at other clubs that aren’t yours....who are you to tell Gary Hetherington how to run his club etc etc etc.

In seriousness there’s a big difference between Leeds and Wakefield when it comes to marketing itself. Wakefield doesn’t have another big sports team under that name like Leeds do with Leeds United in football.

In a city where if you call yourself a Leeds fan people automatically assume you mean football, then the Rhinos name does help differentiate us and give us our own identity, Wakefield or St Helens not having a football team don’t have that problem.

When it comes to these names though why don’t people ever criticise NRL clubs for having them? Or NFL clubs, with worldwide name like Dallas COWBOYS, New York GIANTS and Miami DOLPHINS, these more successful leagues and sports do just fine with them yet apparently they’re a problem for the stuttering SL.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35904
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 20:159th Mar 24 16:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Get rid : Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
Look at you just trolling having at go at other clubs that aren’t yours....who are you to tell Gary Hetherington how to run his club etc etc etc.

In seriousness there’s a big difference between Leeds and Wakefield when it comes to marketing itself. Wakefield doesn’t have another big sports team under that name like Leeds do with Leeds United in football.

In a city where if you call yourself a Leeds fan people automatically assume you mean football, then the Rhinos name does help differentiate us and give us our own identity, Wakefield or St Helens not having a football team don’t have that problem.

When it comes to these names though why don’t people ever criticise NRL clubs for having them? Or NFL clubs, with worldwide name like Dallas COWBOYS, New York GIANTS and Miami DOLPHINS, these more successful leagues and sports do just fine with them yet apparently they’re a problem for the stuttering SL.

I actually agree with much of what you say and how I’m trolling I don’t know. It does excuse Leeds a bit but I don’t reckon it’s needed now. Leeds RL does the job and many people in Leeds automatically refer to United as United whilst calling the RL team Leeds. I’m not from Leeds but have worked there for years and that’s my experience FWIW.

However Rhino, there has to be better.

The NRL is very different that’s why no one is so critical. They have embraced the American style of franchise for want of a better word.

Few of there clubs are original line ups. Many are off the shelf brand new. I suppose you can do what you like where there is no tradition.

Also a lot of the NSWRL teams were already known unofficially by their nicknames long before they started marketing it. Bulldogs, Roosters, Sea Eagles were all in common parlance even when I lived there in the early seventies.

It was already part of their game, they just rationalised it to suit them.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 am  
vastman wrote:
I actually agree with much of what you say and how I’m trolling I don’t know. It does excuse Leeds a bit but I don’t reckon it’s needed now. Leeds RL does the job and many people in Leeds automatically refer to United as United whilst calling the RL team Leeds. I’m not from Leeds but have worked there for years and that’s my experience FWIW.

However Rhino, there has to be better.

The NRL is very different that’s why no one is so critical. They have embraced the American style of franchise for want of a better word.

Few of there clubs are original line ups. Many are off the shelf brand new. I suppose you can do what you like where there is no tradition.

Also a lot of the NSWRL teams were already known unofficially by their nicknames long before they started marketing it. Bulldogs, Roosters, Sea Eagles were all in common parlance even when I lived there in the early seventies.

It was already part of their game, they just rationalised it to suit them.

Well my experience I’ve had is that even people I’ve worked who for over 10 years and know I’m a much bigger RL fan than football, when they ask me what I did at the weekend and I say “I went to the Leeds game” they still reply something along the lines of “oh they won 1-0 didn’t they” thinking I meant Leeds United when I mean Rhinos.

Why does they have to be better than Rhinos? Because you personally don’t like, is that a valid reason in all due respect?

The key word you use is above is “embrace”. Whichever way clubs go, the key thing is embracing it. Whatever you think of the Rhinos name you can’t deny that Leeds have embraced it and made it work. On the the other hand Wakefield never really embraced Wildcats so it didn’t work....admittedly you didn’t really need one because you had the ‘Trinity’ name there all along. Look at Hull FC, does that work any better than Rhinos, or even Bulls when they were in SL?

I honestly don’t see how going back to just plain simple Leed “RL” inthe year 2019 would be an improvement either marketing wise or brand wise. Got to remember that moving forward you’re appealing to a younger audience, the future generations.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Aug 20 22:144th Aug 20 12:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 am  
Always knew Leeds as "The Loiners" in my early rugby days. You are right about Rhinos, stupid name! The others are no better, Vikings, Wolves, Bulldogs and the others, scrap the lot.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200518 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Mar 23 10:2529th Jan 20 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:36 am  
More trolling from Wakefield's "vastman."

Sydney "Roosters." Best run club and one of the most successful in the history of the NRL.

1950s French influence in the club's jersey colours and design and in the name ("le coq"). Nobody minds the name.
Last edited by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1161No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20 201112 years184th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 22:0518th Mar 24 11:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:02 am  
vastman wrote:

I have lived in Aus since 1968 and the nickname for the Canterbury club was 'Berries' until changed in the late seventies(1978) to 'Bulldogs'.
'Berries' was considered too soft and the club wanted a name which implied grit and determination.

Where were you living in the early 70's?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 20185 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Sep 19 12:1512th Sep 19 20:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The Leigh and Wakefield fans mentality......

Say something negative about any other team than theirs - Its an opinion

Say something negative about Leigh and Wakefield - TROLL

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:30 am  
I kind of agree with vastman on this. However, with the exception of football, sports these days just feel the need to give themselves a silly name.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 01 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 19 18:4517th Nov 19 18:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 am  
Absolutely agree wholeheartedly!

They are cheesy gimmicks that belong in the 1990s.

A few years ago Wire were saying they were going to make a big announcement and, to a man, our entire fanbase were hoping that it would be the ditching of “Wolves” from our club name.

We were all let down as it ended up being the release of a new club badge.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 01 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 19 18:4517th Nov 19 18:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Get rid : Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:21 am  
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
More trolling from Wakefield's "vastman."

Sydney "Roosters." Best run club and one of the most successful in the history of the NRL.

1950s French influence in the club's jersey colours and design and in the name ("le coq"). Nobody minds the name.

Is that your nickname where you’re from?
Next