JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 12 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Feb 13 09:4310th Dec 12 22:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Petrol prices : Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 pm  
To clarify the situation with the Essex depot, the following was typed by a driver at the depot, and posted onto a friend's Facebook page;

P&O have bought the main shell site in partnership with a kuate company and they are building a mega large container terminal, it will be the biggest in europe so if you put 2 & 2 together the mobil oil refinery is right in the way thats why the government sold the site to a swedish company a few years back, so they dont take the flac when it closes to make way for the container terminal, and also thats why theres so much work being done at saddlers farm so they link the roads up with the north via the A12 and the A14, there now you know love always XXXXXXX
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 19 21:058th Apr 19 15:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I've not come 'alfway round t'world fot watch us lose. And I've come halfway round t'world, an' av watched um lose"

Re: Petrol prices : Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 pm  
Ferocious Aardvark wrote:
. Getting out my fag packet...

If you're at a petrol station feel free. Smoke one, even...
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16252
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years64th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 23:4827th Feb 24 19:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Petrol prices : Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 pm  
You are all worrying about nothing.

As we have a Conservative government they will prioritise the motorist and not be sucked into the stupid lobbying of the tree huggers to price the hard working motorist off the road.

Read this about their fuel duty stabiliser that will keep prices down: http://conservativehome.blogs.com/theto ... hit-a.html

If there is war in Iran and oil prices go up I'm sure George Osborne will ensure that in a time like this when consumers need every penny they've got, the prices at the pump will be kept stable.
You are all worrying about nothing.

As we have a Conservative government they will prioritise the motorist and not be sucked into the stupid lobbying of the tree huggers to price the hard working motorist off the road.

Read this about their fuel duty stabiliser that will keep prices down: http://conservativehome.blogs.com/theto ... hit-a.html

If there is war in Iran and oil prices go up I'm sure George Osborne will ensure that in a time like this when consumers need every penny they've got, the prices at the pump will be kept stable.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12260
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 11 200717 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Aug 23 06:3231st Jul 23 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BLACK AND WHITES

East is East,West is West,
and never the twain shall meet.

--------------------------------
"I" said the sparrow "With my bow and arrow."

Re: Petrol prices : Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:15 pm  
El Barbudo wrote:
A penny, one penny or, if you must, one "P".
Not 1 pence.
Pence is plural.

I stand corrected in this corner ,wearing a pointed hat. :CURTAIN:
RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 05 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jul 17 01:3911th May 17 20:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Petrol prices : Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 pm  
Just because motor companies produce fully or semi-electric cars this doesn't necessarily mean they want them to be successful. Take the now infamous case of General Motors' EV1 - a vehicle which despite being a remarkable technical (top speed upwards of 80mph, 160 mile range etc.), aesthetic (a highly desirable two-seat coupe) and PR achievement was cynically sabotaged by its manufacturer.

For the past decade energy conscious governments about the globe have repeatedly stumped up huge subsidies and inducements to stimulate the electric car market. GM were quite happy to effectively write-off a fraction of their R&D budget to create prototypes and limited production runs of vehicles if it meant getting their hands on government money. Once safely deposited in the bank they could then announce plans to move into more "exciting" technologies (such as hydrogen fuel-cell), kill off the likes of the EV1 (satisfied buyers were more than a touch annoyed to discover GM reserved the right to recall the EV1 at any time it pleased) and pursue the next round of lavish subsidies.

The EV1 pretty much proved the electric car was - with sufficient corporate commitment - not just a viable product but a genuine competitor for diesel/petrol engine vehicles two or perhaps three decades ago.

That said, even if we moved away from the internal combustion engine to electric or the mythical hydrogen fuel cell it still wouldn't address the fundamental problem of building the rest of the car in a resource-diminished future.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 08 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Dec 19 13:0211th Dec 19 22:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Petrol prices : Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:57 am  
Bear in mind that 'electric' cars are in effect burning fossil fuels in exactly the same proportion as the overall electricity network. In most countries, 'electric' cars are effectively powered by coal, and hardly cleaner than petrol when indirect emissions are considered. In Australia the cost of electricity is going to continue rising significantlhy, and its quite possible that the running costs of electric cars will be similar to petrol.

As for medium- to long-term oil prices, they will largely be driven by the marginal cost of production of shale oil and similar. Crude prices are already in the region where such previously unattractive methods of production are becoming economic.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Petrol prices : Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:18 am  
BrisbaneRhino wrote:
Bear in mind that 'electric' cars are in effect burning fossil fuels in exactly the same proportion as the overall electricity network. In most countries, 'electric' cars are effectively powered by coal, and hardly cleaner than petrol when indirect emissions are considered. In Australia the cost of electricity is going to continue rising significantlhy, and its quite possible that the running costs of electric cars will be similar to petrol.

As for medium- to long-term oil prices, they will largely be driven by the marginal cost of production of shale oil and similar. Crude prices are already in the region where such previously unattractive methods of production are becoming economic.

There are plenty of ways to generate electricity, other than by burning fossil fuels or nuclear. The relatively mature but still-developing technologies of PV cells and wind in combination with the immature technologies of wave, biomass and anaerobic digestion, could all relieve pressure on fossil fuels. Unfortunately they need commitment from governments and the buy-in of big business and if "the market" doesn't see what it considers an acceptable RoI, they will struggle to reach maturity.
Dally 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 21 15:0122nd Jul 21 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Petrol prices : Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm  
cod'ead wrote:
There are plenty of ways to generate electricity, other than by burning fossil fuels or nuclear.

Harnassing all the bullsh*t on this sorum would be a good start.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Petrol prices : Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:13 pm  
Dally wrote:
Harnassing all the bullsh*t on this sorum would be a good start.

Not really, the digestive system of cattle works as a pretty effective AD plant alone.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Petrol prices : Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm  
Mugwump wrote:
Just because motor companies produce fully or semi-electric cars this doesn't necessarily mean they want them to be successful. Take the now infamous case of General Motors' EV1 - a vehicle which despite being a remarkable technical (top speed upwards of 80mph, 160 mile range etc.), aesthetic (a highly desirable two-seat coupe) and PR achievement was cynically sabotaged by its manufacturer.

For the past decade energy conscious governments about the globe have repeatedly stumped up huge subsidies and inducements to stimulate the electric car market. GM were quite happy to effectively write-off a fraction of their R&D budget to create prototypes and limited production runs of vehicles if it meant getting their hands on government money. Once safely deposited in the bank they could then announce plans to move into more "exciting" technologies (such as hydrogen fuel-cell), kill off the likes of the EV1 (satisfied buyers were more than a touch annoyed to discover GM reserved the right to recall the EV1 at any time it pleased) and pursue the next round of lavish subsidies.

The EV1 pretty much proved the electric car was - with sufficient corporate commitment - not just a viable product but a genuine competitor for diesel/petrol engine vehicles two or perhaps three decades ago.

That said, even if we moved away from the internal combustion engine to electric or the mythical hydrogen fuel cell it still wouldn't address the fundamental problem of building the rest of the car in a resource-diminished future.

GM has previous in such duplicitous activities, not least being the General Motors Streetcar Conspracy
Mugwump wrote:

GM has previous in such duplicitous activities, not least being the General Motors Streetcar Conspracy
Previous