FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New Head Coach - who's it going to be?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain144No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 31 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Nov 19 08:2711th Oct 19 14:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 9:23 am  
I have said before that GH is still very much in charge and needs a fall guy.He is one cool customer, as Harris and Caisley found out.
But in KS he finds a VERY focused individual,interesting times!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4490
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years20th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 10:212nd Jun 24 18:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 10:18 am  
I think Sinfield brings mental toughness, team ethos and humility. But he is also bloody-minded when he wants to be.

I do think he's a fit DoR, but it's clear he needs a head coach who will work under his general instruction. That's pretty challenging when you're being asked to polish a poo without too much input into the changes.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4490
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years20th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 am  
For me the evidence is clear that this squad is just not good enough. It's not just an underperforming mid-table team.

A significant number of the McDermott-legacy players are now plying their trade in mid-table Championship sides, which is where they always belonged. It's crazy. And this was our grand strategy to replace the golden generation?

If we make around three more top class (and I mean top class) signings for 2020 as we get rid of most of the remaining dead wood, a new coach has something to work with.

Furner is well known as a really nice bloke - any other coach considering coming to us is going to feel like they have a target on their forehead before they even start. Plenty will apply; but will the RIGHT candidate want it?
Fallon 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2093No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 08 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Jul 20 08:3022nd Jul 20 22:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 10:42 am  
Very interesting that Sinny offered to resign. Part of me respects that given Furner was his choice. Part of me wonders how they drifted so far apart on ideology so quickly if they had done their due diligence.

I just wonder if Agar will stay in charge (I know he has said he doesn't want to but money talks) and that will allow kev and GH to pull the strings with little resistance. In essence Agar is literally just a coach with no say in anything else. Feels like there is a bit of a power struggle going on... Or maybe I've just been watching too much Dynasty lately?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4490
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years20th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 10:54 am  
Fallon wrote:
Very interesting that Sinny offered to resign. Part of me respects that given Furner was his choice. Part of me wonders how they drifted so far apart on ideology so quickly if they had done their due diligence.

I just wonder if Agar will stay in charge (I know he has said he doesn't want to but money talks) and that will allow kev and GH to pull the strings with little resistance. In essence Agar is literally just a coach with no say in anything else. Feels like there is a bit of a power struggle going on... Or maybe I've just been watching too much Dynasty lately?

I don't see that. I think Sinfield and Agar are both a bit risk-adverse and understand the revolving door that is head coaching. It's not for everyone (I know Agar has been one before). If you want a steady job then head coach isn't it.

By appointing people who do thrive on that risk/reward element, they take the fall rather than you when results don't go your way.

It wouldn't surprise me if Agar got the job but I suspect not.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 1:55 pm  
lionarmour87 wrote:
Yes even Sinfield said in a recent TV interview when Furner was mentioned ' do we really have to go back to this? '

That’s different though. I thought that was poor from Sinfield. It’s reasonable to be asked those questions from the media.
It’s different to offering up gossip ala the GH article.
Though it concerns me re Sinfield, will he be unable to work with the next coach and threaten to resign again if it isn’t immediately successful?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 22 18:0330th Dec 20 01:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Don't worry about avoiding temptation.
As you grow older, it will avoid you!
- Winston Churchill

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 2:03 pm  
It would now appear that the main reason Furner was sacked was because of a personality clash with Sinfield. Was Sinfield encroaching on Furner and cramping his style? Or was Sinfield resisting what Furner wanted to do with the squad eg getting rid and recruitment? Either way Sinfield does not come out of this well.

In my opinion a Director of Rugby should be responsible for all matters concerning rugby at the club with the exception of the first team squad which should be the total responsibility of the head coach. By the way at Super League level I wish we would use the term 1st team manager as in football and not head coach. You only should have one Captain of a ship and a senior head coach will not be happy having a DOR chipping away on his shoulder.

Sinfield was a great player and captain (aided for much of the time by JP) but he has no qualifications or experience as a senior manager, nor has he any coaching qualifications. So I fail to see what he brings to the party other than GH distancing himself from responsibility. So far he has not improved the side's performances one jot in his year in charge despite having 3 new coaches to help since Mac was sacked. Yet during this time he has recruited half a team including 2 marquee signings which is something never afforded to Mac despite the very serious injury crisis we had two years running. Sinfield's lack of man management experience could have cost us a manager and must have distracted Furner, Sinfield's team selections were odd when he was coach last year and those same odd choices were taken on by Furner which rather suggests Sinfield's influence.

KS now an be seen sitting next to Agar at matches which shows he is not able to delegate. None of this bodes well for a new coach.
RankPostsTeam
International Star711
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 201410 years180th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 11:3225th May 24 10:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Lifelong supporter, marching on together

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 2:53 pm  
Juan Cornetto wrote:
It would now appear that the main reason Furner was sacked was because of a personality clash with Sinfield. Was Sinfield encroaching on Furner and cramping his style? Or was Sinfield resisting what Furner wanted to do with the squad eg getting rid and recruitment? Either way Sinfield does not come out of this well.

In my opinion a Director of Rugby should be responsible for all matters concerning rugby at the club with the exception of the first team squad which should be the total responsibility of the head coach. By the way at Super League level I wish we would use the term 1st team manager as in football and not head coach. You only should have one Captain of a ship and a senior head coach will not be happy having a DOR chipping away on his shoulder.

Sinfield was a great player and captain (aided for much of the time by JP) but he has no qualifications or experience as a senior manager, nor has he any coaching qualifications. So I fail to see what he brings to the party other than GH distancing himself from responsibility. So far he has not improved the side's performances one jot in his year in charge despite having 3 new coaches to help since Mac was sacked. Yet during this time he has recruited half a team including 2 marquee signings which is something never afforded to Mac despite the very serious injury crisis we had two years running. Sinfield's lack of man management experience could have cost us a manager and must have distracted Furner, Sinfield's team selections were odd when he was coach last year and those same odd choices were taken on by Furner which rather suggests Sinfield's influence.

KS now an be seen sitting next to Agar at matches which shows he is not able to delegate. None of this bodes well for a new coach.

Can you get any more conjecture into a single post?
Gotcha 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 05:312nd Nov 20 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 3:12 pm  
LeedsLurch wrote:

This is what happens when Hetherington does these sort of things. When people have agendas they want to push, they put there own interpretion of interviews to back up that agenda, regardless of whether what was said or not true.

Juan has an issue with Sinfield and his role. Before that he had an issue with Furner appointment.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7260
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 200222 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 14:504th Jun 24 08:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: New Head Coach - who's it going to be? : Wed May 29, 2019 4:57 pm  
LeedsLurch wrote:

I'm surprised he/she missed off the training ground flooding during Mac's tenure...
PreviousNext