WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The Australian Game
The Australian Game Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:07 am  

wadbrough52 wrote:
wadbrough52 Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 29
The new rules in Australia has created a dilemma for rugby in England. For years we have been proud that rugby league is more open than union with the ball in play for perhaps 60-70% of the game compared to 25% in union. But now in Australia it is nearer 90% with very few scrums or penalties and a very open game. The questions are, how do we play international games in the future,do we adopt the new rules and are they good for the future welfare of the players.
No doubt the game in Australia will slow down as players and refs will get used to the rules, however in England powers that be must respond quickly to these changes.
George Walker
Re: The Australian Game Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:36 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 1834
Weve played with different rules for years now which is just crazy.

If im honest i find the NRL too quick and boring. All the rule changes to make the game quicker makes the game more negative to me. Why play rugby when you can just roll downfield with ease. Every set of 6 in the NRL is the same 3 drives one off the ruck, a shift play on the 4th and drive on the 5th and kick on the last.
Re: The Australian Game Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 am  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1085
Location: Desperation Island
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Why play rugby when you can just roll downfield with ease. Every set of 6 in the NRL is the same 3 drives one off the ruck, a shift play on the 4th and drive on the 5th and kick on the last.
The last 2 weeks of the NRL have been anything but this.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: The Australian Game Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:36 am  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 497
I agree with the Ghost. These new changes have opened the game up. You can see defenses getting tired and that opens the game up for offload and more attack. I love it and hope it's introduced here
Re: The Australian Game Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:40 pm  

User avatarBiff Tannen wrote:
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 6732
Location: Hill Valley
anything to break up the tedious 'arm wrestle' we used to get is good for me. i have watched a couple of games since the NRL resumption and find the changes very positive indeed and it has opened it up for the smaller unpredictable and silky players again to shine with a bit more space.
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Re: The Australian Game Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:21 pm  

User avatarDHM wrote:
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Posts: 8717
Location: Garth's Darkplace.
If they want to "open up" league for more skillful players then one thing they could do is revisit what is classed as a high tackle. I wouldn't go as far as Union (virtually 50% of all league tackles would result in a red card under those rules), but it's very difficult to offload when three guys hit you in the face and around the shoulders. It might also reduce the concussion rate in the NRL.
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Re: The Australian Game Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:40 am  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 497
DHM wrote:
If they want to "open up" league for more skillful players then one thing they could do is revisit what is classed as a high tackle. I wouldn't go as far as Union (virtually 50% of all league tackles would result in a red card under those rules), but it's very difficult to offload when three guys hit you in the face and around the shoulders. It might also reduce the concussion rate in the NRL.


Did you see a programme Shane William's did about concussion? There was an expert that said that by lowering the tackle zone, the chance of head injuries is greatly reduced
Re: The Australian Game Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 am  

User avatarDHM wrote:
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Posts: 8717
Location: Garth's Darkplace.
D4mo78 wrote:
Did you see a programme Shane William's did about concussion? There was an expert that said that by lowering the tackle zone, the chance of head injuries is greatly reduced


Unfortunately I know quite a lot about it, TBI is one of the research areas we work in. We did have talks with the NFL a few years ago but they decided on a different path. I also have a 17 yo who plays (Union). In Union I think the problem is now reversed, they have to tackle so low now that it's the tacklers who are being concussed. They also have a lot of head injuries in rucks where players cleaning out are getting lower and lower and leading with their heads and defenders are encouraged to jackel right over the ball with head and neck practically on the ground and exposed. I haven't seen anyone carrying the ball concussed in a long time in Union (which is good). My son has had a couple over the last 4-5 years and all were from getting his head too low in the tackle and one nasty neck injury from being "cleaned out" off the ball when he wasn't expecting it. However, that's all preferable to high tackles.

The NFL's problem is helmets. That's not going away.
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Re: The Australian Game Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:41 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm
Posts: 1834
Watched 30 mins of Cowboys v Warriors and im bored to tears.
Re: The Australian Game Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:15 am  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 253
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Watched 30 mins of Cowboys v Warriors and im bored to tears.


Yeah so poor to watch, despite everyone waxing lyrical about the NRl.....
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carnegiedweller, Dadsylad, Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino, FGB, Gotcha, gulfcoast_highwayman, Jack Burton, rugbyleague88, Shabino, splaz and 213 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,053,9441,17378,1464,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts