Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace HUGE....toronto are HUGE



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:02 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:08 pm
Posts: 316
https://www.thestar.com/sports.html
or maybe not :CRAZY:
Really need to stop thinking the RL press and forums is "the world". Jarred Hayne in the NFL was a non story i the real local media, same way SBW is a "sb who" story in Canada....if they could be bothered to ask.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6738
Location: Carcassonne, France
AXE2GRIND wrote:https://www.thestar.com/sports.html
or maybe not :CRAZY:
Really need to stop thinking the RL press and forums is "the world". Jarred Hayne in the NFL was a non story i the real local media, same way SBW is a "sb who" story in Canada....if they could be bothered to ask.


What rubbish.

Jarryd Hayne was the talk of the NFL after his dazzling preseason performances for San Francisco 49ers. He had a strong following among 49ers fans until he was set back after he dropped a kick return in his first game. And even then the poor performances of the team eventually led to American fans demanding Hayne be reinstated to the starting side.

The mayor of Toronto has welcomed the signing of Sonny Bill Williams and we will see a lot more of SBW in the Toronto media when the Super League season begins in Canada.






Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:23 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12678
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:What rubbish.

Jarryd Hayne was the talk of the NFL after his dazzling preseason performances for San Francisco 49ers. He had a strong following among 49ers fans until he was set back after he dropped a kick return in his first game. And even then the poor performances of the team eventually led to American fans demanding Hayne be reinstated to the starting side.

The mayor of Toronto has welcomed the signing of Sonny Bill Williams and we will see a lot more of SBW in the Toronto media when the Super League season begins in Canada.


Sorry Jean, that is just nonsense.

In RL circles, we may have though that Hayne going to the NFL was a huge story but, within their sport, it was a nothing story and just remind us how long he lasted and what he is doing now.

As for Toronto, in a city with established mainstream sports, RL is just a speck of dust.

Having said that, the people over there have done a great job to promote an "alien" sport to so many new people but, it does look like a rich mans play thing, rather than a serious move to take our game to the masses. All that we can do is to try and enjoy it while it lasts.
7000 mile round trips for the weekly (well, fortnightly) rounds, is just madness - so much for climate change :CRAZY:

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6738
Location: Carcassonne, France
wrencat1873 wrote:Sorry Jean, that is just nonsense.

In RL circles, we may have though that Hayne going to the NFL was a huge story but, within their sport, it was a nothing story and just remind us how long he lasted and what he is doing now.

As for Toronto, in a city with established mainstream sports, RL is just a speck of dust.

Having said that, the people over there have done a great job to promote an "alien" sport to so many new people but, it does look like a rich mans play thing, rather than a serious move to take our game to the masses. All that we can do is to try and enjoy it while it lasts.
7000 mile round trips for the weekly (well, fortnightly) rounds, is just madness - so much for climate change :CRAZY:


You didn't watch the NFL games that Hayne played in, nor the San Francisco 49ers fan programs, which were available on the internet. I did. I watched all of those that I could get access to. Hayne was a prominent subject of discussion among NFL commentators and pundits during the preseason and then the early games.

Rugby league is no speck of dust in Toronto when the Wolfpack can attract around 9,000 Canadian fans to a home game in the Championship. Those numbers compare well with attendances for other longer established sports in Toronto. Those Wolfpack attendances should rise even higher once the team starts playing in Super League, and at some point the club will probably need to find a bigger stadium to play in.

As for climate change, I hardly think that rugby league fans are making any significant contribution to carbon gas emissions.






Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 1474
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:What rubbish.

Jarryd Hayne was the talk of the NFL after his dazzling preseason performances for San Francisco 49ers. He had a strong following among 49ers fans until he was set back after he dropped a kick return in his first game. And even then the poor performances of the team eventually led to American fans demanding Hayne be reinstated to the starting side.

The mayor of Toronto has welcomed the signing of Sonny Bill Williams and we will see a lot more of SBW in the Toronto media when the Super League season begins in Canada.


No, he's spot on, you're the fantasist.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12678
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:You didn't watch the NFL games that Hayne played in, nor the San Francisco 49ers fan programs, which were available on the internet. I did. I watched all of those that I could get access to. Hayne was a prominent subject of discussion among NFL commentators and pundits during the preseason and then the early games.

Rugby league is no speck of dust in Toronto when the Wolfpack can attract around 9,000 Canadian fans to a home game in the Championship. Those numbers compare well with attendances for other longer established sports in Toronto. Those Wolfpack attendances should rise even higher once the team starts playing in Super League, and at some point the club will probably need to find a bigger stadium to play in.

As for climate change, I hardly think that rugby league fans are making any significant contribution to carbon gas emissions.


Anyone who flies 7000 miles to play or watch a sport for 80 minutes is adding to the problem of climate change.
Granted, the numbers involved on their own aren't significant but, everyone has some personal responsibility.

Moving back to RL, what steps are the Wolfpack taking to develop the junior game in Canada, as this is THE most important aspect of establishing RL in Toronto and just for a bit of fun, when do you think the first Canadian player will make their debut for this magnificent club.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:45 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:07 pm
Posts: 268
wrencat1873 wrote:Anyone who flies 7000 miles to play or watch a sport for 80 minutes is adding to the problem of climate change.
Granted, the numbers involved on their own aren't significant but, everyone has some personal responsibility.

Moving back to RL, what steps are the Wolfpack taking to develop the junior game in Canada, as this is THE most important aspect of establishing RL in Toronto and just for a bit of fun, when do you think the first Canadian player will make their debut for this magnificent club.


Quinn Ngawati has already played for the Wolfpack and hes canadian.

You are quite correct though, it is a magnificent club!






Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:06 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:53 pm
Posts: 721
Location: Reebok, 1800ft
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:As for climate change, I hardly think that rugby league fans are making any significant contribution to carbon gas emissions.


Wood and trees, springs to mind ...

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:47 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:38 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: Barnsley
wrencat1873 wrote:7000 mile round trips for the weekly (well, fortnightly) rounds, is just madness - so much for climate change :CRAZY:


It's a 5000 mile round trip from Sydney to Perth, but every one think that NRL expansion is good.

Yes, flying creates a carbon footprint, but the effect of flying alone is massively overstated.

Flying and driving will become the preserve of the rich again soon, under the guise of saving the planet.

Stopping TO playing the SL is not part of the solution needed.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUGE....toronto are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:57 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:38 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: Barnsley
Without wanting to create thread drift, avoiding 1 return Trans-Atlantic trip per year, would save 1.6 tonnes of C02 per year.

You can make the same saving by switching to green energy.

Or, you can save 58.6 tonnes of C02 by having 1 less child in your family!

(Wynes & Nicholas, Environmental Research Papers, 2017)

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next





It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRIXTON, Donnyman, little wayne69, Someday, Steph Curry, TimperleySaint, tyr and 171 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,4141,49977,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2

.