WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Set restarts - Refereeing

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Set restarts - Refereeing

Set restarts - Refereeing Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm  

User avatarSaddened! wrote:
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

One thing I've found myself moaning about on Twitter since the restart has been the refereeing, particularly set restarts. It just seems odd and not reflective of how the balance of games are going.

Saints won 42-0 against Wigan. A game they dominated throughout, both territorially and physically. Yet the set restart count was 7-1 (!) in favour of Wigan. How do they explain that? The Saints line was never under pressure, there were almost no breaks or wins of the collision, yet we conceded 7 set restarts. Wigan on the other hand were under a lot of pressure, scrambling round to hold their line and concede only 1? If it were junior/amateur there would be cries of mercy rule refereeing to keep the score down. Woolf has had a moan about it in the press after the Wigan game, but it was a similar situation against Warrington. When Saints were on top in the opening 20 odd minutes, 8-0 up, they were 3-0 behind on set restarts I believe. That game finished 7-1 as well I think. You'd expect Warrington to edge the stats for set restarts as they did the balance of the game.

I've noticed it in games other than Saints as well, one teams seems to get hammered at times and there's no consistency with how each team are refereed, even within the same game. Are some sides coached to give full penalties away and not set restarts as you are more likely to defend a penalty with a set line of defenders than a set restart? Or is just an issue with the standard of refereeing and they struggle for consistency in the same game never mind between games and referees?
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:55 pm  
Brick with eyes User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Saddened! wrote:
One thing I've found myself moaning about on Twitter since the restart has been the refereeing, particularly set restarts. It just seems odd and not reflective of how the balance of games are going.

Saints won 42-0 against Wigan. A game they dominated throughout, both territorially and physically. Yet the set restart count was 7-1 (!) in favour of Wigan. How do they explain that? The Saints line was never under pressure, there were almost no breaks or wins of the collision, yet we conceded 7 set restarts. Wigan on the other hand were under a lot of pressure, scrambling round to hold their line and concede only 1? If it were junior/amateur there would be cries of mercy rule refereeing to keep the score down. Woolf has had a moan about it in the press after the Wigan game, but it was a similar situation against Warrington. When Saints were on top in the opening 20 odd minutes, 8-0 up, they were 3-0 behind on set restarts I believe. That game finished 7-1 as well I think. You'd expect Warrington to edge the stats for set restarts as they did the balance of the game.

I've noticed it in games other than Saints as well, one teams seems to get hammered at times and there's no consistency with how each team are refereed, even within the same game. Are some sides coached to give full penalties away and not set restarts as you are more likely to defend a penalty with a set line of defenders than a set restart? Or is just an issue with the standard of refereeing and they struggle for consistency in the same game never mind between games and referees?

More importantly, what did you think of the tackle that ended Jack Wells evening ?
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:26 pm  

User avatarreffy wrote:
reffy User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Is it just that Saints are offending more than opponents?
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:07 pm  

northernbloke Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Good god your not suggesting that the problem could be with the players rather than the refs. Mebbe saints were quite happy giving away sets at the tackle to ensure defensive line set properly
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 pm  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

northernbloke wrote:
Good god your not suggesting that the problem could be with the players rather than the refs. Mebbe saints were quite happy giving away sets at the tackle to ensure defensive line set properly

Nah. Deffo been victimised.
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm  

northernbloke Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Just like cas obviously, everyone picks on em
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:16 pm  

User avatartb wrote:
tb User avatar
ADMIN
ADMIN

Wait. Is the argument that if a team is dominating the match physically, as well as in terms of possession (and territory) it can’t be offending at the ruck/ptb, leading to set restarts?

Or that a team being physically dominated *must* commit more ruck offences?

Because I’m not sure I see the logic there, tbh.
Doubt everything, even this
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:41 pm  

Wigg'n wrote:
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Logic and a Saddened thread never go hand in hand.
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:25 pm  

User avatarryano wrote:
ryano User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

How many were on the 1st or 2nd tackle as opposed to the 5th or 6th? Perhaps some teams are prepared to do it to slow the PTB early in the count.
"Arguably the best Rugby League side certainly in the last 40 years!" Phil Clarke.
Re: Set restarts - Refereeing Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:14 pm  

User avatarNoel Cleal wrote:
Noel Cleal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The set restarts do seem a bit random to be honest.

It is a new rule so there is bound to be inconsistencies, however the referees do need to get things in order sooner rather than later.
The Aussie Legend!!!
Next