WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New SKY sports deal

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace New SKY sports deal

New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:33 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -2024.html

As Mr. Lenegan warned - three year REDUCED deal for 2022,2023 and 2024.........

He also warned nothing for the Championship if the reduction was significant.....
Last edited by Donnyman on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:36 am  

User avataratomic wrote:
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

‘ Sky beat off late competition from BT Sport’
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:39 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

atomic wrote:
‘ Sky beat off late competition from BT Sport’

Well I'm please BT were interested, but they can't have been that interested if SKY won the rights with a significantly reduced offer :D
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:55 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ ... rfl-741881

John Davidson in quickly with the analysis. Disaster for the wider championship.

They were set to re-organise their competitions but called that off only two days ago so they must have known what was coming...

Further details show that there is some money for the Championship, so if anyone wants any speculation based on what has gone before, remember Superleagues serious and voted on proposal for a 10 club Superleague and a 10 club Championship.........
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Donnyman wrote:
https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-tv-deal-sky-sports-rights-champions-league-one-rfl-741881

John Davidson in quickly with the analysis. Disaster for the wider championship.

They were set to re-organise their competitions but called that off only two days ago so they must have known what was coming...

Further details show that there is some money for the Championship, so if anyone wants any speculation based on what has gone before, remember Superleagues serious and voted on proposal for a 10 club Superleague and a 10 club Championship.........

article nearly a month old...
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 am  
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Donnyman wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-8979497/Sky-Sports-BT-Sports-Super-League-2024.html

As Mr. Lenegan warned - three year REDUCED deal for 2022,2023 and 2024.........

He also warned nothing for the Championship if the reduction was significant.....

I thought the idea of hiring of Robert Elstone by the Super League clubs was to get a better TV deal and bring more money into the game. Obviously i was wrong
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:49 am  

User avataratomic wrote:
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Donnyman wrote:
Well I'm please BT were interested, but they can't have been that interested if SKY won the rights with a significantly reduced offer :D

I don't dispute that Donny. Sky end up with exclusive rights and the game dwindles again. Possibly BT would have carried less exclusivity allowing for other money streams such as Free to Air.

But I guess we will never know.
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 am  
Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Huddersfield1895 wrote:
I thought the idea of hiring of Robert Elstone by the Super League clubs was to get a better TV deal and bring more money into the game. Obviously i was wrong

It was but the championship and League one clubs knew this was going to happen when they were bullied into voting for it.

When Chalmers (yeah I know how he worked out) - along with the rest of the advisory group - was talking about this the likes of Carter and Hudgell were very quick to shout him down - I wonder why? On this one he was right and the SL clubs have ensured they were insured against a reduced deal.
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:49 am  

Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:
It was but the championship and League one clubs knew this was going to happen when they were bullied into voting for it.

When Chalmers (yeah I know how he worked out) - along with the rest of the advisory group - was talking about this the likes of Carter and Hudgell were very quick to shout him down - I wonder why? On this one he was right and the SL clubs have ensured they were insured against a reduced deal.

That's rich coming from a fan of a club that routinely shouted down all opposition and flouted every convention, excuse me if I fail to weep for you. Carter and Hudgell and every SL CEO is doing their job by protecting their own club's interests if you think any of the Championship Chairman would act differently if in their shoes then you've clearly learned nothing.

I also love the way you assume the 'likes of' from the smaller clubs are the villains also amuses me, yep no self-interest at Wigan or Leeds is there :CRAZY:
Re: New SKY sports deal Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:07 pm  

puroresu_boy wrote:
puroresu_boy Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The BT offer must have been pretty bad if the decision to remain with Sky on a greatly reduced deal was chosen.

Tough times ahead and players surely will be looking to Australia or Rugby Union if they can.

The salary cap again will stay as it is at best and the earning potential for players is just not high enough.
Next