Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13470
I don't think I'm cocksure when I say Wire will walk 2019 and I am comfortable expecting Wire to emulate the Wigan of the 1980's for years to come.






once a wire always a wire


Last edited by rubber duckie on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:22 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4164
Location: Stuck in 1982
Wow sounds pretty cocksure to me we might get a few 'vistors'

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:34 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13470
Uncle Rico wrote:Wow sounds pretty cocksure to me we might get a few 'vistors'

20lb line at the ready.






once a wire always a wire

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13470
UR you'll remember I was very vocal about what I expected from the team, second only to Wigan.
I said both finals and top 4 minimum but top 2 ought to be possible.
The last bit should have been so had it not been for starting so slowly which was SP intension.

This year I expect win win win.
No bridesmaid to anyone. I'll be disappointed if we lose more games than I can count on one hand in a season. I expect CC LS GF and WCC winners. Anything less than winning the 2 finals and being top 2 minimum in the league standings will be a flop....yes many could say winning the CC would be a successful season but not me. Nowhere near enough for the investment in this squad.






once a wire always a wire

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:46 pm
Posts: 512
Location: Out and about in Wigan
rubber duckie wrote:I don't think I'm cocksure when I say Wire will walk 2019 and I am comfortable expecting Wire to emulate the Wigan of the 1980's for years to come.


I don’t think I’m cocksure but I’d suggest you lay off the sniff

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:14 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 am
Posts: 1567
This is a comparison that can only be made after we (or anyone else) have emulated the Wigan side in the 80's which quite frankly I think is beyond any team subject to a league which is salary capped. We have invested well but good investment just gives us a better chance, no guarantees as saints found last year and others (including us in 2012) before them. Lets just hope to enjoy the season and perhaps think about a more suitable session beer next time.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13470
....but cw it isn't salary capped anymore. It's 'partially' salary capped that people passover calling it so, but that is a big difference.

The game being totally professional has a greater significance than previous salary cap system in evening out the competition...but the way to create a significant advantage is having a potential limitless marquee advantage and use it big time...and we have. Currently nobody else has come close. It would take a wipeout of our marquee players to give balance under this system.

I fully agree that removing any type of cap is a way to make the game uneven, but it was professionalism that really put Wigan ahead of the game, so an uncapped competition does self regulate balance as in league most owners will only go so far with investment...to make a difference in the 2020s will be down to the size of the sugar daddy's pocket....and currently ours are very very deep.
That is the module that could catapult Wire so far ahead as Wigan were in the 80s.... if the competition eventually goes to 3 marquee or more as the Warrington courted Robert Elstone is talking, for sure Wire will dominant and perhaps match any Aussie team too.






once a wire always a wire

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:13 pm
Posts: 3587
Location: Northamptonshire
rubber duckie wrote:....but cw it isn't salary capped anymore. It's 'partially' salary capped that people passover calling it so, but that is a big difference.

The game being totally professional has a greater significance than previous salary cap system in evening out the competition...but the way to create a significant advantage is having a potential limitless marquee advantage and use it big time...and we have. Currently nobody else has come close. It would take a wipeout of our marquee players to give balance under this system.

I fully agree that removing any type of cap is a way to make the game uneven, but it was professionalism that really put Wigan ahead of the game, so an uncapped competition does self regulate balance as in league most owners will only go so far with investment...to make a difference in the 2020s will be down to the size of the sugar daddy's pocket....and currently ours are very very deep.
That is the module that could catapult Wire so far ahead as Wigan were in the 80s.... if the competition eventually goes to 3 marquee or more as the Warrington courted Robert Elstone is talking, for sure Wire will dominant and perhaps match any Aussie team too.

Wigan's domination of the sport in the 1980s badly damaged rugby league. I am as passionate a Wire fan as anyone but it would be equally bad for the sport if ( extremely unlikely ) Warrington were to 'enjoy' a similar period of dominance. In the end at Wigan they essentially needed to win the Challenge Cup every year just to pay the player's wage bill. They went bust twice as a result. Be careful what you wish for.






Two Music Week Top 10s for Ryker Sear last year. Stand by for more in 2018

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:54 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13470
Asgardian13 wrote:Wigan's domination of the sport in the 1980s badly damaged rugby league. I am as passionate a Wire fan as anyone but it would be equally bad for the sport if ( extremely unlikely ) Warrington were to 'enjoy' a similar period of dominance. In the end at Wigan they essentially needed to win the Challenge Cup every year just to pay the player's wage bill. They went bust twice as a result. Be careful what you wish for.

I disagree...Wigan made our sport massive and the Pies are STILL riding the bow that era created for them and RL.






once a wire always a wire

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warrington 2020's vs Wigan 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:56 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 13470
......and as a die hard Wire Im jealous as hell too!






once a wire always a wire

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next





It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CW8, getdownmonkeyman, kev123, LaVenRouge, Longbarn Wire, Matt King's kitten, matt6169, Old Man John, rubber duckie, St Helens Wolf, Wrath and 205 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 pm

REST IN PEACE
ARCHIE BRUCE

RFL STATEMENT
--DONATE TO FUND--
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,941,6901,65777,7934,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Sat 24th Aug 15:00
CC2019
ST.HELENS
v
WARRINGTON
Sun 1st Sep 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 6th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 13th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WARRINGTON
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






21

.