WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Our Glaring Deficiency

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Our Glaring Deficiency

Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:20 pm
Posted by Superblue on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:20 pm
Superblue Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 204
Rep Position: 207th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 599
And it’s been the case for some seasons now.

We lack pace :D

How are our new signings for next season going to address this?
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 pm
Posted by lefty goldblatt on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 pm
lefty goldblatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 770
Rep Position: 37th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25 pm
Posts: 6989
Location: South Stand.....bored
To be fair, we've not had pace for years.
Penny (hated by many) and Riley (to some extent, had some) were our only pacy wingers of recent times. After that, you've to go back to Henare in the mid 90's, and then you've to go back to Forster (pre knee injury) and Dessie, for any wingers pace.
Our centres, on the whole are like carthorses.
... and bar (pre injury) Currie, you've to go back to my mancrush of Mark Roberts, and Mike Gregory, for any pace from the forwards.
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:29 am
Posted by Alffi_7 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:29 am
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 402
Rep Position: 110th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 1795
I’d say Charnley has more pace than Riley ever had?

I’d agree our centres lack pace, but then when was the last pacey centre we had? 2011 is widely regarded as our best squad for many years: that had King, Bridge & Atkins in the centres I think with Monaghan & Riley / King on the wing. Again none blessed with real pace.

Briers and Hodgson at 6 & 1, only Myler at 7 had any real pace. What the team did have though was creativity in spades. Didn’t we score more points for that year than most teams have ever done?
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:11 am
Posted by Maco7 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:11 am
Maco7 User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 389th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:41 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Burtonwood
Alffi_7 wrote:
I’d say Charnley has more pace than Riley ever had?

I’d agree our centres lack pace, but then when was the last pacey centre we had? 2011 is widely regarded as our best squad for many years: that had King, Bridge & Atkins in the centres I think with Monaghan & Riley / King on the wing. Again none blessed with real pace.

Briers and Hodgson at 6 & 1, only Myler at 7 had any real pace. What the team did have though was creativity in spades. Didn’t we score more points for that year than most teams have ever done?


Can't argue with any of this. Matty Ashton who we have signed is absolutely rapid, whether he gets in ahead of Lineham i'm not so sure but he looks a real talent albeit from highlight clips I've seen. Is Keanan Brand quick? I wouldn't know.

Our halves are no slouches either, Austin once through a gap is quick and Widdop isn't slow.
ChiswickWire wrote:
Union is about the battle for the ball, League is about what you do with it.
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am
Posted by clutch on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am
clutch Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 21
Rep Position: 371st / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 114
Mamo is the only person with real pace. I’d guess lineham is quicker than Charnley but he takes a while to get going! Riley was quick off the mark but had no top end gas. The quickest regular player was Atkins. Atkins had real gas when he was younger.
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:09 pm
Posted by Superblue on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:09 pm
Superblue Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 204
Rep Position: 207th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 599
lefty goldblatt wrote:
To be fair, we've not had pace for years.
Penny (hated by many) and Riley (to some extent, had some) were our only pacy wingers of recent times. After that, you've to go back to Henare in the mid 90's, and then you've to go back to Forster (pre knee injury) and Dessie, for any wingers pace.
Our centres, on the whole are like carthorses.
... and bar (pre injury) Currie, you've to go back to my mancrush of Mark Roberts, and Mike Gregory, for any pace from the forwards.


If those sort of guys got half a yard they were gone.

I don’t think any of our players getting half a yard on half way would make it
Ratchford didn’t twice in last years GF :D
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:50 pm
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:50 pm
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 893
Rep Position: 30th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 208

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 36910
Superblue wrote:
If those sort of guys got half a yard they were gone.

I don’t think any of our players getting half a yard on half way would make it
Ratchford didn’t twice in last years GF :D



Thats why i'm hoping we're going to try and put matty ashton in as a long term replacement, if he's got a decent pair of hands.

Lest we forget while Hodgo had an excellent pair of hands he also had the acceleration to zoom through a slightly hesitant defence whilst running outwide. Ratch hasn't for a while, and prefers to do the step that doesnt work as well now
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:40 pm
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:40 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1210
Rep Position: 8th / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 1887
One up rugby, without any support, is causing our outside backs to see no daylight whatsoever in the oppositions defence.
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm
Posted by Captain Hook on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 891
Rep Position: 31st / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2384
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Comes to something when I’m looking enviously at RU players drawing a man and passing!
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Our Glaring Deficiency
Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:11 pm
Posted by clutch on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:11 pm
clutch Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 21
Rep Position: 371st / 78,111

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 114
That’s a new low! Union is a better product at the moment but ball skills still clearly superior in League. Even Warrington, unless Patton is involved.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captain Hook, Google Adsense [Bot], hengirl, richmond, The Speculator, WalterWizard, Wire n Steel and 71 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Warrington Wolves


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,047,12370178,1114,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)