RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Matty Ashton
Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:33 am  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 2200
Member for 7 years
Will be interesting to see how the Thewlis / Ashton battle develops.

Thewlis has been great this year and deserves his spot in the 13, I was critical of Price for not selecting Ashton on the wing and Thewlis at full back - but then Ashton puts in a performance like that. His pace gets him in good positions and he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time to score tries.

Price seems to have preferred Ashton at full back over Thewlis, be interesting to see how Powell sees it next year.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:23 am  

Sparky1967 wrote:
Sparky1967 Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:57 pm
Posts: 67
Member for 1 year
Battle might not even happen the way things stand. Ashton will be out of contract the end of November.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 am  
morrisseyisawire User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 pm
Posts: 2538
Member for 9 years
Assuming Ashton is still here? The only issue with Ashton is his injury record whereas, for a young lad, Thewlis seems to be tough as teak.

They both bring different skills to the party and I'd like to see them both in starting Wire thirteens for years to come.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 am  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 2200
Member for 7 years
As with Clark, I think had he been leaving it would have been mentioned before the Salford game.

I'm assuming he's staying, but accept we haven't had confirmation either way.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:18 am  
Winslade's Offload 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 4503
Location: Don't break the heart / Tom Brennan
Member for 9 years
Matty is not exactly the polar opposite to Thewlis but he is very different. He is much faster, doesn't have the rugby brain, and has no specialised position. In broken play he is the most dangerous player on the pitch. So the challenge I think is to find a position he is comfortable in and exploit his speed.The FB position is a good one to choose because he can move in and out of the play when he sees a break or is involved in a set move. The disadvantage is that it requires a demanding skill set where he must jump for high balls, organise his defence after adding up the opposition numbers on either side of the ruck, and decide when to move back to cover the in goal area from a kick through.

Thewlis is an out and out FB and the natural stand in / successor to Ratchford. But Ratchford is among the top 3-4 players in our squad so there is no way you would wan't to leave him out of the team. And if you decide to play Ashton, then the only option is to put Thewlis on the wing. He is still only 19 and shouldn't get roughed up too much in that position. And it allows him to use his skills and rugby brain whilst picking up much needed match experience. He is signed until 2024 and only Toby King has a longer contract, so that's as big a statement of intent by the club that you are likely to see.

So regardless of who coaches the team I think we are likely to see this awkward triangle of Thewlis, Ashton and Ratchford and the choice of who fills the FB and wing positions. Price has gone for Ashton at FB but perhaps Powell will swap them around and move him to wing. Either way we don't seem to be in the market for a replacement for Lineham and I can't see a strong contender coming through from the Academy atm.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 am  

Kevin Turvey wrote:
Kevin Turvey Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 pm
Posts: 780
Member for 10 years
Winslade's Offload wrote:
Matty is not exactly the polar opposite to Thewlis but he is very different. He is much faster, doesn't have the rugby brain, and has no specialised position. In broken play he is the most dangerous player on the pitch. So the challenge I think is to find a position he is comfortable in and exploit his speed.The FB position is a good one to choose because he can move in and out of the play when he sees a break or is involved in a set move. The disadvantage is that it requires a demanding skill set where he must jump for high balls, organise his defence after adding up the opposition numbers on either side of the ruck, and decide when to move back to cover the in goal area from a kick through.

Thewlis is an out and out FB and the natural stand in / successor to Ratchford. But Ratchford is among the top 3-4 players in our squad so there is no way you would wan't to leave him out of the team. And if you decide to play Ashton, then the only option is to put Thewlis on the wing. He is still only 19 and shouldn't get roughed up too much in that position. And it allows him to use his skills and rugby brain whilst picking up much needed match experience. He is signed until 2024 and only Toby King has a longer contract, so that's as big a statement of intent by the club that you are likely to see.

So regardless of who coaches the team I think we are likely to see this awkward triangle of Thewlis, Ashton and Ratchford and the choice of who fills the FB and wing positions. Price has gone for Ashton at FB but perhaps Powell will swap them around and move him to wing. Either way we don't seem to be in the market for a replacement for Lineham and I can't see a strong contender coming through from the Academy atm.


What do you think of Tom Burnett in the academy? Looked massive in a recent highlights video. Not sure how promising he is.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:34 pm  
Winslade's Offload 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 4503
Location: Don't break the heart / Tom Brennan
Member for 9 years
Kevin Turvey wrote:
What do you think of Tom Burnett in the academy? Looked massive in a recent highlights video. Not sure how promising he is.


He does look big doesn't he ? I think he was playing centre originally and looks to be one of the better players in the Academy. I saw him last in the recent Lancashire v Yorkshire academy game but I wouldn't say he particularly stood out. I guess he stands a reasonable chance of being offered a place in next years reserves as he will be 19 in November and will not be eligible for the U18's.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:56 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 26175
Location: WIGAN
Member for 17 years
Wire will surely tie him up, if they haven’t already. He wasn’t on the recent list posted by Rugby League Live as being off contract, which makes me think it’s already done but not announced. He’s had some injury problems but there aren’t many players about in this league that can pop up in the right position time and time again. He’s a bit of a throwback in that respect and there aren’t enough players of that type around anymore. Too many players just stick rigidly to systems and that means basics such as support play is dead (in the main).
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm  

Douglas Black Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:38 pm
Posts: 253
Member for 1 year
He's the most exciting player we've had since Kevin Penny and he's much more of a rounded rugby league player. I'd be gutted if he left.
Re: Matty Ashton Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:05 pm  

Jack Napier wrote:
Jack Napier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm
Posts: 583
Member for 3 years
Signed for 3 years.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 90 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Warrington Wolves


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 10th Oct
WSL RND: 19 St.HelensW28-0LeedsW
WSL RND: 19 FeatherstoneW22-24Hudds W
CH RND: 25 Toulouse34-12Featherstone
L1 RND: 25 Workington36-12Doncaster
Sat 9th Oct
SL RND: 28 Catalans10-12St.Helens
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!









X
::::::::