WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Squad Numbers
Squad Numbers Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 am  

FartownFan57 wrote:
FartownFan57 Stevo's Armpit

Yates moves straight to favoured open side prop,an obvious mutual admiration situation between him and the coach.Mike Lawrence into favoured blind side prop, bit of a surprise. Jones into 13 shirt.Can't recall him doing any ball handling for Salford,but loose forward is often just used as a third prop in this day and age.
If Cudjoe continues with the form he showed when he returned last year they won't be able to leave him out.
They do often play down the significance of the squad numbers though.

If Yates & co can get the team going forward this season, having Gavet from the interchange could be a good option to have as his main strength seemed to be attracting defenders and providing 2nd phase or alternatively slithering out of their grasp to get to the ground for a quick play the ball.
Re: Squad Numbers Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:41 pm  

Wood1 wrote:
Wood1 Stevo's Armpit

I don't think the coaches attach that much significance to the squad numbers. We fans often read too much into them. I think Jones has expressed a desire to play loose forward in the hope that he can make the World Cup squad in that role. I hope his performances there for the Giants impress the England coach enough to achieve his goal.
Re: Squad Numbers Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:55 am  

User avatarHuddsRL5 wrote:
HuddsRL5 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Interesting that our starting props have both played a lot as 13s. We've definitely gone for light and mobile, both can do big minutes which I guess with the 6 again rule should work in our favour, just hope we can make the metres!
Re: Squad Numbers Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 am  

User avatarDurham Giant wrote:
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

It looks like to me we will be playing a quick and expansive game . 5 drives and a kick will be gone.does seem to be the way the game is going though
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Re: Squad Numbers Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:02 pm  

bilko1941 wrote:
bilko1941 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Durham Giant wrote:
It looks like to me we will be playing a quick and expansive game . 5 drives and a kick will be gone.does seem to be the way the game is going though
Looks as though Butler may have got himself fit.!!!!!!!
Re: Squad Numbers Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 pm  

djhudds wrote:
djhudds Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Butler Out for another few months with a different injury, don’t expect to see him anytime soon
Re: Squad Numbers Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:12 am  

Wood1 wrote:
Wood1 Stevo's Armpit

The lad doesn't have much luck injury wise.
Re: Squad Numbers Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:05 pm  

User avatarhomme vaste wrote:
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

HuddsRL5 wrote:
Interesting that our starting props have both played a lot as 13s. We've definitely gone for light and mobile, both can do big minutes which I guess with the 6 again rule should work in our favour, just hope we can make the metres!

Although that probably works both ways, if the bigger forwards dominate the collision then the chances are the ruck will become messy and hard to control, resulting in infringements and 6 agains. The only real positive of a more agile light weight front row in my eyes bigger minutes (although not always the case) and probably better footwork at the line.
Re: Squad Numbers Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:35 am  

Wood1 wrote:
Wood1 Stevo's Armpit

All of that makes sense HV. We have lacked speed around the ruck - in both attack and defence - for the last few seasons which has often put the first receiver on the back foot or given the offence room to get up speed. I'm sure that Ian Watson will be looking to address this but the lack of size could be an issue especially when we have to start from our line.Time will tell.