Post subject: The prop problem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:40 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Simple question - does the club have an issue when it comes to developing, identifying and getting the best out of props?

Development - Sutton, Crosby, Prescott, Mossop, O'Carroll all produced by the club, with only Sutton potentially on the cusp of doing anything of note. Who was the last great prop we produced - possibly Andy Faz, but it would be a stretch to call him a prop? Think about other players we've produced in that time like Tomkins X2, Faz, Gildart, Burgess, Manfredi, HH, Ashton, Williams, Mcilorum etc.

Identifying - Bullock, TT and Clubb all started life at either wing or centre and, whilst I'll give Bullock more time, we do seem to keep going back to the same formula that hasn't produced great results. Chris Hill was missed/not picked up by the scouts and you hear stories about us not moving for Walmsley because of his lack of lateral movement. Add in Taylor who had the heart or a pea / no desire to be the best and you've got a sorry tale of picking the wrong guys.

Performance - Lima, FPN and Pettybourne came over with decent reps and whilst the first two weren't as bad as people make out, they didn't exactly set the league on fire. It's taken a move to the NRL for Sutton to be the player we know he can be too. When was the last time we saw a dominant prop performance? Lima in the CC final (I know I said he didn't rip up any trees) or Coley n the WCC?

People will point to Flower and he's been great, but that's one guy vs more than a handful who haven't been great.

Post subject: Re: The prop problem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

sergeant pepper wrote:Simple question - does the club have an issue when it comes to developing, identifying and getting the best out of props?

Development - Sutton, Crosby, Prescott, Mossop, O'Carroll all produced by the club, with only Sutton potentially on the cusp of doing anything of note. Who was the last great prop we produced - possibly Andy Faz, but it would be a stretch to call him a prop? Think about other players we've produced in that time like Tomkins X2, Faz, Gildart, Burgess, Manfredi, HH, Ashton, Williams, Mcilorum etc.

Identifying - Bullock, TT and Clubb all started life at either wing or centre and, whilst I'll give Bullock more time, we do seem to keep going back to the same formula that hasn't produced great results. Chris Hill was missed/not picked up by the scouts and you hear stories about us not moving for Walmsley because of his lack of lateral movement. Add in Taylor who had the heart or a pea / no desire to be the best and you've got a sorry tale of picking the wrong guys.

Performance - Lima, FPN and Pettybourne came over with decent reps and whilst the first two weren't as bad as people make out, they didn't exactly set the league on fire. It's taken a move to the NRL for Sutton to be the player we know he can be too. When was the last time we saw a dominant prop performance? Lima in the CC final (I know I said he didn't rip up any trees) or Coley n the WCC?

People will point to Flower and he's been great, but that's one guy vs more than a handful who haven't been great.

I would argue that props don't hit their peak until their late 20s as their bodies have not fully developed enough to play that position well enough. Under a salary cap system you can't keep hold of 3 or 4 players hoping that they make it when they reach 26, 27.

Who was the last genuine 18-22 year old world class prop?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Egg Chasing wrote:I would argue that props don't hit their peak until their late 20s as their bodies have not fully developed enough to play that position well enough. Under a salary cap system you can't keep hold of 3 or 4 players hoping that they make it when they reach 26, 27.

Going back a bit but Lee Crooks was quality at an early age.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

Egg Chasing wrote:I would argue that props don't hit their peak until their late 20s as their bodies have not fully developed enough to play that position well enough. Under a salary cap system you can't keep hold of 3 or 4 players hoping that they make it when they reach 26, 27.

JAMES GRAHAM Was 18 when he made his breakthrough into the Saints team in 2003

"I REMEMBER WHEN ROCK WAS YOUNG" - BUT WHAT THE **** DID I COME UPSTAIRS FOR ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:33 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Jimmy Hornbys Tash wrote:JAMES GRAHAM Was 18 when he made his breakthrough into the Saints team in 2003

True.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:42 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:True.

Hes the only one i can think of in the UK

Sam B was a 13 at the bulls was he not?

What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

MattyB wrote:you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd.

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

tugglesf78 wrote:Hes the only one i can think of in the UK

Sam B was a 13 at the bulls was he not?

Going back quite a bit but, one of the best British props was Brian Case who was also only 18 on debut for Warrington.

"I REMEMBER WHEN ROCK WAS YOUNG" - BUT WHAT THE **** DID I COME UPSTAIRS FOR ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm 
100% League Network Sponsor
100% League Network Sponsor

Stuart Fielden
Luke Thompson

king warrior wrote:Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Very few are world-class at that age. The Burgess twins are only 27 now, so they must have been decent around 23/24 too.

20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Why bother developing props then? Let then move on at 19 and sign them up 6 years later.

20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com