WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Saints and Gelling

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Saints and Gelling

Saints and Gelling Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:17 pm  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Has anyone got a view on Gelling's header to Charnley?

The rules say that it is play on, my view is that the rule needs changing.
Re: Saints and Gelling Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sweaty Betty's wrote:
Has anyone got a view on Gelling's header to Charnley?

The rules say that it is play on, my view is that the rule needs changing.

The difference is that it wasn't a header, in that it wasn't a deliberate action. He didn't play at it, if he had then it would have been ruled a knock on. I remember one happening to Wigan (possibly against Wire again?) Joe Burgess stood watching the ball rolling into the in-goal waiting for the ref to blow, then the player grounded it just in case, not really expecting it to be given. Ref sends it upstairs and awards it.

I don't mind the rule as it is to be honest, we have the principle that you have to play at a ball to knock it on in any other situation so it is consistent to rule this as play on. Think about what would happen if an opposition player had kicked it into his head at short range. Same principle, not played at, so no knock on.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Saints and Gelling Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:11 pm  

Wigg'n wrote:
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

If it had hit Gelling’s chest would it have been deemed a knock on?
Re: Saints and Gelling Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 pm  

User avatarSalty wrote:
Salty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I thought the pass to his head was slightly forward but I didn’t expect the ref to see it and the VR can’t call it.
Re: Saints and Gelling Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:03 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Gold RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:
If it had hit Gelling’s chest would it have been deemed a knock on?

It can hit him anywhere, if he doesn't play at it, it's not a knock on
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Saints and Gelling Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:40 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Salty wrote:
I thought the pass to his head was slightly forward but I didn’t expect the ref to see it and the VR can’t call it.

Was forward a mile. Gelling is stood in front when he passes it, carries on running and it still hits him.

Taking the header out of it, I'd be furious.
Re: Saints and Gelling Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:49 am  

warrior1872 wrote:
warrior1872 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I remember saints had the tactic of using i think a guy called John Harrison who was about 6ft 7in tall and he used to head the ball through the line and they would score off it,the RFL brought a ruling out not long afterwards making it illegal
Re: Saints and Gelling Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:55 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
It can hit him anywhere, if he doesn't play at it, it's not a knock on

Except in the nonsense ruling when making a tackle.
Re: Saints and Gelling Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:21 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Gold RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:
Except in the nonsense ruling when making a tackle.

They tend to rule that you're playing at the ball in that situation (harsh in many circumstances, agreed)
Frank Zappa wrote:

The_Enforcer wrote:
Re: Saints and Gelling Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Didn’t they give a drop out against us for a ball hitting Gildart on the head? How they could say he’s played at that is beyond me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better example of somebody not playing at a ball then unknowingly taking it on top of your swede whilst not looking at it. I’m sure Cummings/Ganson could make up some technical reason as to why it was the correct call but it seemed crazy to me.
Next