WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Dave bolton

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Dave bolton

Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 am  

Malooo wrote:
Malooo Stevo's Armpit

Sad news this morning on the passing of a Wigan great. Rip Dave a great rugby player who I had the pleasure of watching from the boys pen.
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:50 am  

Malooo wrote:
Malooo Stevo's Armpit

Can’t understand why the Wigan warriors site has said nothing about this. West tigers in oz as a great tribute to him on their site.
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:14 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Malooo wrote:
Can’t understand why the Wigan warriors site has said nothing about this. West tigers in oz as a great tribute to him on their site.

Give them chance it's 10 in the morning the day after it happened, not sure how many media staff are furloughed either.

RIP Dave - before my time but a lot of the older fans spoke really highly of him.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:18 am  

Cruncher wrote:
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Legendary stand-off. RIP to a true great.
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:11 pm  
Freddie Miller. Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Saw him play in England and Australia. Most notably at Wembley in 1959 when my team were beaten by a Wigan side who I rate as one of the best I have ever seen. Then followed the Ashes win that year when I saw him play all three games.
I arrived in Aus. to live in 1968 and went to see him win a Grand Final with Balmain the following year. He made the Balmain Hall of Fame. He was a great player and I loved watching him.

RIP Dave.
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:40 pm  

Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Unfortunately he had gone to Australia by the time I was old enough to go to a game so never saw him play.

Arguably our best ever 6 based on reputation with older supporters, opposing fans, Aussie supporters and former players. Murphy I believe had him his X111 of all time.

Rouges have you got any lasting lasting memories of the guy..

What I would give to have seen him and McTigue play.
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:05 pm  
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Unfortunately he had gone to Australia by the time I was old enough to go to a game so never saw him play.

Arguably our best ever 6 based on reputation with older supporters, opposing fans, Aussie supporters and former players. Murphy I believe had him his X111 of all time.

Rouges have you got any lasting lasting memories of the guy..

What I would give to have seen him and McTigue play.

Just picture this. Wigan at Central Park attacking the scoreboard end. Bolton breaks just over the halfway line and gets the opposition fullback to turn. Both players are now running towards the scoreboard. The fullback looks over his left shoulder but Bolton goes right, the fullback then looks over his right shoulder and Bolton goes left. This continues for about 30 yards and the first time the fullback has any idea of where Bolton is is when Bolton touches down under the posts. One of the greatest tries I have ever seen. R.I.P. David, thanks for some fabulous memories.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm  

Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Just picture this. Wigan at Central Park attacking the scoreboard end. Bolton breaks just over the halfway line and gets the opposition fullback to turn. Both players are now running towards the scoreboard. The fullback looks over his left shoulder but Bolton goes right, the fullback then looks over his right shoulder and Bolton goes left. This continues for about 30 yards and the first time the fullback has any idea of where Bolton is is when Bolton touches down under the posts. One of the greatest tries I have ever seen. R.I.P. David, thanks for some fabulous memories.

Thanks for sharing that great memory
I believe that he had incredible pace.

Would you rate him our best ever 6?

Obviously Kenny and Edwards would be many peoples choice
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:34 pm  
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Thanks for sharing that great memory
I believe that he had incredible pace.

Would you rate him our best ever 6?

Obviously Kenny and Edwards would be many peoples choice

Kenny is the best I've ever seen, Billy B told me, but he only played two-thirds of a season, so I would pick Bolton with Edwards #7
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Dave bolton Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:41 pm  

Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Kenny is the best I've ever seen, Billy B told me, but he only played two-thirds of a season, so I would pick Bolton with Edwards #7

Agree re Kenny only being here for part of the season.
Based on his reputation I'd go with Bolton too but Andy Greg at 7 for me.
Next