Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:43 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:46 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Out and about in Wigan
Lam has got some decisions to make this week in terms of hooker and halfback positions, also I’d be starting French on the wing and I’m pretty sure Clubb will be banned for the Hastings elbow during his try but my team would look something like

Hardaker
French
Hankinson
Gildart
Marshall
Williams
Tommy
Flower
Borough
Partington
Farrell
Isa
Smithies

O’Loughlin
Greenwood
Byrne
Sammut

Sammut on the bench would allow Amir to have a breather whilst Tommy/Williams went to hooker and Sammut slotting in at halfback

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:49 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 23263
Location: WIGAN
Hardaker
Marshall Sarginson Gildart Burgess
Williams Leuluai
Flower O’Loughlin Partington
Isa Farrell Smithies

Subs
Clubb Byrne Greenwood French

Navarrete for Clubb if he’s banned.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:02 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3274
Location: wigan...where else!!
Playing either Amir & Sammut in a game like this would be suicidal. I prefer Williams at six to french however lets give French a shout at hooker. If we can get quick play the balls he would be lethal. If it isn't working out then put leuluai to hooker but lets leave Williams at six.






1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:46 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Out and about in Wigan
hatty wrote:Playing either Amir & Sammut in a game like this would be suicidal. I prefer Williams at six to french however lets give French a shout at hooker. If we can get quick play the balls he would be lethal. If it isn't working out then put leuluai to hooker but lets leave Williams at six.


So playing an actual hooker or halfback in their correct positions would be suicidal but playing someone at hooker who’s never played there in his life wouldn’t be?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:05 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6391
French can’t do the level of defence required in the middle. Likely neither can Borough for the minutes required and Tommy can’t do a lot of minutes at 9 anymore. It has to be Williams.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:49 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3274
Location: wigan...where else!!
KingRoss11 wrote:So playing an actual hooker or halfback in their correct positions would be suicidal but playing someone at hooker who’s never played there in his life wouldn’t be?

Yes. Amir isn’t yet ready for this level of intensity and Sammut hasn’t played for 5wks or so and would be gassed after 20 mins.






1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:53 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3274
Location: wigan...where else!!
Wigg'n wrote:French can’t do the level of defence required in the middle. Likely neither can Borough for the minutes required and Tommy can’t do a lot of minutes at 9 anymore. It has to be Williams.

Putting Williams at nine would nullify a lot of our attack. Our most potent attacking weapon at dummy half doesn’t work for me.






1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4582
French to FB. Big call but I wanna roll the dice. We play split halves rugby. We desperately need an attacking linking FB. French can play the position very similar to Tomkins. That’s what we need.
This is no knock on Zak, but the system doesn’t lend itself to his style of play. Ask yourself... how often have you seen Zak link out wide and go through a gap or feed the outside backs? Doesn’t really happen. With Frenchs style and pace with our back line that move would give us something we’ve rarely seen in 2019.

French as a play making first receiver doesn’t work just yet. He’s a strike weapon not a creator in a split halves system. This means we stick with the tried and tested GF winning pair of Tommy and Williams at 6 and 7.

Hardaker must play. Fill in in the centres or on the wing.

Only other issue is 9. Go with Amir or Lockers. Personally I’d interchange both from 9.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:23 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:28 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Standish
Hardaker
Burgess
Gildart
Sarginson
Marshall
SOL
George
Clubb
Tommy
Partington
Isa
Farrell
Smithies

Flower
Byrne
French
Greenwood






wearethewire wrote:expect nothing, anything more is better

Wires71 wrote:And there is the Warrington motto in a nutshell. No wonder we were dog dirt for 20 years

madoggy wrote:hope saints win it, if wigan dont win another league title for 100 years they would still have more than everyone :wink:

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saints away
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7202
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Last Son of Wigan wrote:French to FB. Big call but I wanna roll the dice. We play split halves rugby. We desperately need an attacking linking FB. French can play the position very similar to Tomkins. That’s what we need.
This is no knock on Zak, but the system doesn’t lend itself to his style of play. Ask yourself... how often have you seen Zak link out wide and go through a gap or feed the outside backs? Doesn’t really happen. With Frenchs style and pace with our back line that move would give us something we’ve rarely seen in 2019.

French as a play making first receiver doesn’t work just yet. He’s a strike weapon not a creator in a split halves system. This means we stick with the tried and tested GF winning pair of Tommy and Williams at 6 and 7.

Hardaker must play. Fill in in the centres or on the wing.

Only other issue is 9. Go with Amir or Lockers. Personally I’d interchange both from 9.


I think Hardaker could play hooker at a push.

I'm sure we'll bring Shorrocks or Sammut in on the bench - I'd probably prefer to start Sammut over French in the halves. French is what was advertised - a full back or winger.

All assuming Powell can't play of course - if he's avoided a break you know he's the type of bloke who will want to play.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next





It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:52 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArcticGorilla, Mini Rogue and 115 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:52 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,968,77291077,8584,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28

.