RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - You know, the funny thing is that...
You know, the funny thing is that... Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:31 am  

moto748 wrote:
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 7 years
Although that everyone seems to think that rugby league is on its uppers, and is struggling to survive against the the threat of rival codes, yet still RU seems to be learning from us, Watching the highlights of a French RU game the other day, I saw the attacking side barge over and be held up. 5 metre scrum, I thought. But no. The commentator said something about the 'new rules', and the defending side did a drop-out just like in league! I was chatting to the sole RU fan in my local, who was an ex-ref , and is pretty genned up about the rules, and he said, yeah, that's right, and they're also bringing in an 40/20 equivalent.

They learn from us, can we not take advantage?
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 am  
Edinburgh Warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Location: Don't need to count days off now . Retirement is a wonderful thing
Member for 12 years
I noticed the drop out rule the other week for a held up in goal.
It was a All Black's game against Australia. Wasn't aware of the rule till then . Its a good rule for RU as 5 metre scrums can take forever and you can loose the will to live at times
Regards , EW
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:27 am  
exiled Warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 17 years
Edinburgh Warrior wrote:
Its a rule for RU you can loose the will to live at times

There that's more accurate ;-)
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:24 pm  

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Member for 16 years
moto748 wrote:
Although that everyone seems to think that rugby league is on its uppers, and is struggling to survive against the the threat of rival codes, yet still RU seems to be learning from us, Watching the highlights of a French RU game the other day, I saw the attacking side barge over and be held up. 5 metre scrum, I thought. But no. The commentator said something about the 'new rules', and the defending side did a drop-out just like in league! I was chatting to the sole RU fan in my local, who was an ex-ref , and is pretty genned up about the rules, and he said, yeah, that's right, and they're also bringing in an 40/20 equivalent.

They learn from us, can we not take advantage?

its pretty obvious:

1 - Look at how their international game is viewed, watched/attended and marketed / international game as a whole
2 - Participation levels in schools across the country
3 - Participation levels at amateur level across the country
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:14 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 19 years
nathan_rugby wrote:
its pretty obvious:

1 - Look at how their international game is viewed, watched/attended and marketed / international game as a whole
2 - Participation levels in schools across the country
3 - Participation levels at amateur level across the country

It’s an interesting perception from the outside looking in.

Not a wholly accurate one though.

A good friend of mine who worked for the RFL for a long time and is now involved with another sport (not RFU) was invited to attend a week long Rugby Union Directorship course and came away of the option the problems in Union are very similar but on a larger scale than those he faced in league.

You only need to look at the level of the recent bail outs during the pandemic to understand the financial issues around the sport.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm  
exiled Warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 17 years
Outside of the Football world and even thereonly at the top level all soprts have suffered massively over the last couple of years. The pandemic has shown the fault lines in the ecconomics of most sports, for many years now, outside of the football top divisions, sponsorship/tv money and advertising revenues have been falling.

RU for all it likes to potray itself as a successful sport is far from it outside of the Intrnational game is actually not that wildy popular in that does not have a high prifile for the club game on TV really any more so than RL as a general viewing option outside of fans of the sport.

I suspect that a lot of sports (other than football which is the darling of the TV & media companies) are falling victim to competition from other activities especailly among younger people - it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the crowds at RU games and see if they are having the same aging fan base as RL is I suspect hthat would be the case.
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:50 am  

moto748 wrote:
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 7 years
I think that's very true, and a lot of the people who might regards themselves as union fans are only really interested in the Six Nations and other internationals, rather than caring that much about Bath or Harlequins. But of course that only points up the weakness of the international game in league,
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:56 am  

moto748 wrote:
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 7 years
But the broader point is surely this: I can't be the only person who thinks that rugby union would be a much better sport all round if they played the existing rules but had one or two less players on the pitch. The rules were codified for an amateur game way back when when the forwards were the fat lads who couldn't play football. I'm not saying they should do this, or that I want them too, just that if they did, they would be a greater threat to league than they are now.
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:13 am  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 5 years
Since Union went professional and formed leagues and european cup competition, their game is now not just about International rugby like it was prior to 1995.

You only have to look at their increases in attendances and the resultant expansion of ground capacities in their Premiership.

Even Sale Sharks are after buying the AJ Bell Stadium.
Re: You know, the funny thing is that... Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:28 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 10 years
moto748 wrote:
But the broader point is surely this: I can't be the only person who thinks that rugby union would be a much better sport all round if they played the existing rules but had one or two less players on the pitch. The rules were codified for an amateur game way back when when the forwards were the fat lads who couldn't play football. I'm not saying they should do this, or that I want them too, just that if they did, they would be a greater threat to league than they are now.

Undoubtedly. The issue however is that, same with RL, people like different things/styles of the game. There's a big % of RU fans that love seeing the ball kept tight and in the forwards. It's a no brainer to those who watch league (especially the NRL) to suggest dropping a few players to create space, but people like what they like.

Personally, I think we're well past a point of saturation when it comes to men's sports. There is almost an infinite choice of options for people to watch. We talk about "growing the game of RL", but I can't see how that's possible for any sport tbh. Football is top dog and we've all seen that people rarely stop watching it. They may fall out of love with the PL, but a lot then just move down the pyramid to watch non league footy.

Maybe the future is in women's arena? Sadly tho, not only is a absolute dog turd, but it suffers from the same fragmentation we've spoke about above with the men's game.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Next